Royal Purple (lubricant manufacturer)
"The performance oil that outperforms"
High performance lubricants for automotive, industrial, marine, motorcycle, and racing.
|Industry||oil and chemical|
|Headquarters||Porter, Texas, United States|
|Australia, Canada, China, Italy, Japan, Mexico, United Kingdom, United States|
|Bryan Yourdon (president)|
|Products||synthetic motor oil, synthetic grease, oil filters, gear oil|
|$ 109.5 million (2011)|
|Parent||Calumet Specialty Products Partners|
|Divisions||Royal Purple Consumer Products, Royal Purple Industrial Products|
|Website||Royal Purple Synthetic Oil|
Royal Purple is an American manufacturer which produces lubricants for automotive, industrial, marine, motorcycle, and racing use. It is known primarily for its line of synthetic Royal Purple Motor Oil products used in gasoline and diesel engines. They also produce other fluids including gear oil, transmission fluid, power steering fluid and industrial gear, bearing, engine, and hydraulic oil. Other products include chassis and bearing grease, lubricant aerosol, aerosol chain lubricant, and firearm lubricant.
The company was founded in 1986 by John Williams, a synthetic oil developer and later consultant. Due to a customer who said he had never seen purple oil, Williams named the product Royal purple. Producing synthetic oil using its own additives the company grew and in 2004 completed a 125,000 square foot production facility in Porter, Texas. That same year they acquired a US federal trademark for the exclusive use of purple containers for lubricants. In 2012 Royal Purple was sold in over 25,000 outlets worldwide, and had an annual income of 109.5 million dollar (2011). In July 2012 Royal purple got a new owner when it was sold for 335 million dollar to Calumet Lubricants.
In 2010 Royal purple cooperated with DJ Funkmaster Flex to promote its products. Royal Purple announced on September 25, 2013 that it would sponsor the Las Vegas Bowl for three years, from 2013 to 2016. The deal is worth more than one million dollars a year. Royal Purple is the official lubricant for Lingenfelter Performance Engineering.
In Popular Culture
Royal Purple as a brand appears in the Angelina Jolie film Salt (2010). Forced to flee from her office building she jumps from an overpass to evade her pursuers. Salt lands on top of a moving transport trailer and then jumps onto other trucks to escape. The final truck she jumps on top of is a Royal Purple delivery van. The driver slams on the brakes and dumps Salt onto the road in front of the stopped van.
In the 2013 movie Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks, Josh Duhamel wears a Royal Purple motor oil t-shirt.
- Pair of Royal Purple news items highlight company’s 2014 racing program, NBC Sports, 4 June 2014
- Bel-Ray Sold to Parent of Royal Purple, Dealernews, 1 January 2014
- Calumet Buys Royal Purple, Imakenews.com, 13 June 2012
- No Mention of Viscosity or Thermal Breakdown in this Royal Purple Clip, Popular Mechanics, 29 December 2013
- Driving Green for Dummies: It's Easier and Cheaper Than You Think, St. Joseph News-Press, 17 August 2012
- Solvent leaves protectant film, Professional Tool & Equipment News, 1 March 2010
- Royal Purple Takes the Guesswork Out of Motor Oil Recycling, Reuters, 9 May 2011
- Royal Purple treat, New Straits Times, 9 July 2006
- Royal Purple: It's the Additives, Stupid, Popular Mechanics, 21 February 2013
- Industry notes, company news, Motor Age, 1 April 2004
- Chicago Tribune Car Notes Column, Chicago Tribune, 1 February 2004
- Peter Dalrymple, Co-Founder of Royal Purple, Joins Spine Pain Management, Inc. Board of Directors and Commits to an Additional $2 Million Funding, GlobeNewswire, 26 August 2014
- Calumet buying Royal Purple for about $335 million, Indianapolis Business Journal, 6 June 2012
- US Calumet agrees to buy lubricant maker Royal Purple, Independent Chemical Information Service, 6 june 2012
- New Refineries Bring Big Gains to Calumet Operation, Indianapolis Business Journal, 12 November 2012
- Royal Purple Lubricants Taps DJ Funkmaster Flex To Showcase Its Latest Performance Products, PR Newswire, 8 March 2010
- New title sponsor named for the Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl, Las Vegas Sun, 25 September 2013
- Las Vegas Bowl gets new name and sponsor: Call it Royal Purple, Las Vegas Review-Journal, 25 September 2013
- Royal Purple is new sponsor of Las Vegas Bowl, CBS Sports, 25 September 2013
- Royal Purple To Title Sponsor Las Vegas Bowl Game For Next Three Years, Street & Smith's Sports Business Daily, 26 September 2013
- Royal Purple To Give Away 2015 Subaru WRX, Trip To Las Vegas Bowl In December, Aftermarket News, 9 October 2014