Royal Salute (whisky)
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Country of origin||Scotland|
|Variants||21 Year Old, 100 Cask, 38 Year Old Stone of Destiny|
|Related products||Chivas Regal|
Royal Salute is a brand of Scotch whisky produced by Chivas Brothers (owned by Pernod Ricard), founded in 1801 in Aberdeen, Scotland. The Royal Salute brand's home is Strathisla Distillery at Keith, Moray in Speyside, Scotland. It was launched on 2 June 1953 by Chivas Brothers in tribute to Queen Elizabeth II on the day of her coronation. Named after the traditional 21-gun salute, Royal Salute whisky is aged for a minimum of 21 years.
- Royal Salute 21 Year Old: Blended from whiskies matured for at least 21 years. This expression is bottled in porcelain flagons, produced by Wade porcelain, incorporating the image of Robert the Bruce and bearing a Gaelic motto which translates as "fidelity, stability since 1801".
- Royal Salute 100 Cask: Blended in small batches of 100 casks, using aged whiskies.
- Royal Salute 38 Year Old Stone of Destiny: Blended from whiskies aged for at least 38 years.
- Royal Salute 50 Year Old: Blended from whiskies aged for at least 50 years. Limited edition released in 2002 to celebrate the Golden Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II, priced at $30,000.
- Royal Salute 62 Gun Salute: Blended from whiskies selected by each of the four Master Blenders since the brand's creation in 1953, and passed down to the current day. Aged for at least 40 years. Priced at around $2,800.
- Tribute to Honour: Blended from whiskies especially selected by Colin Scott[clarification needed], each aged for at least 45 years. Bottled in a diamond encrusted bottle and priced at around $200,000.
||This section contains content that is written like an advertisement. (October 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Royal Salute 21 Year Old whisky was launched in 1953, commemorating the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II. It was followed by the 50 Year Old (2002), marking Elizabeth II's Golden Jubilee, the 100 Cast Selection (2004), the 38 Year Old "Stone of Destiny" (2005), and the "62 Gun Salute" (2010). In 2011 the "Tribute to Honour", a series of 21 bottles decorated by jewellers Garrard was launched. Most recently produced, in 2012, was the "Diamond Jubilee", another 21 Year Old blend, which commemorated the 60th Anniversary of Elizabeth II's coronation.
The brand's distillery and visitor centre are at the Strathisla distillery, located in Speyside. The distillery was founded in 1786, and it is the oldest working distillery in the Highlands of Scotland. The Strathisla distillery is owned by Chivas Brothers, and Strathisla Single Malt is one of the malt whiskies used within the Royal Salute blend.
Royal Salute Marketing
Royal Salute is an international polo sponsor, with a calendar of tournaments that include the following:
- "Copa Royal Salute", Polo Club de Bogotá - Bogotá, Colombia
- Sentebale Royal Salute Polo Cup 2012, São Paulo State, Brazil in aid of the Sentebale charity.
- Sentebale Polo Cup 2011 in association with Royal Salute, Coworth Park, Ascot, England in aid of the Sentebale charity.
- Foundation Challenge Cup 2011, Santa Barbara Polo Club, California, USA in aid of the American Friends of the Foundation of Prince William and Prince Harry charity.
- The Royal Salute China Open Polo Tournament, Tang Polo Club, Beijing, China
- The Royal Salute Maharaja of Jodhpur |Golden Jubilee Cup, Umaid Bhawan Palace, Jodhpur, India.
- The Royal Salute Nations Cup, Desert Palm Polo Club, Dubai.
- The Royal Salute Jubilee Cup, Greenwich, USA
- The Royal Salute Polo Cup, Jeju, South Korea
- The Campeonato Argentino Abierto de Polo, Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Triplice Coroa Tournament, Helvetia Polo Club, São Paulo, Brazil
- Copa Ouro, Sao Jose Polo Club, São Paulo, Brazil
- Sydney Gold Cup, Sydney Polo and Country Club, Sydney, Australia
- Goldin Polo Cup, Beaufort Polo Club, Tetbury, England
- Cortina Winter Polo Gold Cup, Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy
Since 2006, Royal Salute has sponsored "Mark of Respect Awards", which go, according to the brand's press releases, to "one deserving individual within the Asian-American community".
- "Royal Salute 21 Year Old - MaltWhiskyDistilleries.com - the online destination for Scotch whisky and distilleries". MaltWhiskyDistilleries.com. Retrieved 2013-08-19.
- [dead link]
- "Royal Salute's Tribute to Honour". The Whisky Exchange. Retrieved 2013-08-19.
-  Archived February 26, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Royal Salute™ Extends International Top Honor To The U.S. With The Mark of Respect Award". Retrieved 7 November 2014.
- Scotland of Today; Published May 3, 1890.
- Walpole Yearbook 2009; Published on behalf of Walpole Group by WorldWide Communications.