Royal Shrewsbury Hospital
|Royal Shrewsbury Hospital|
|Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust|
Royal Shrewsbury Hospital from Car Park
|Location||Copthorne, Shrewsbury, Shropshire, England|
Keele University Medical School|
The Royal Shrewsbury Hospital is a teaching hospital in Shrewsbury, Shropshire, England. It forms the Shrewsbury site of the Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust, serving patients from Shropshire (including Telford and Wrekin) and Powys, in conjunction with the Princess Royal Hospital in Telford. The hospital is currently under the leadership of chief executive Simon Wright and chair Ben Reid OBE.
The hospital, which was built to replace the Royal Salop Infirmary in the centre of Shrewsbury and the Copthorne Hospital on the opposite side of the Mytton Oak Road, was opened by the Prince of Wales in 1979. Expansion of the hospital took place when services were transferred from the Ear, Nose and Throat Hospital in the centre of Shrewsbury in 1998.
The site on the opposite side of the Mytton Oak Road, formerly occupied by the Copthorne Hospital, was deemed surplus to requirements and sold to Crest Nicholson to create affordable housing in November 2007.
Those reported to have died there include:
- William Alonzo Parker - former Anglican Bishop of Shrewsbury (1982)
- David Ormsby-Gore, 5th Baron Harlech - Conservative politician and former Ambassador to the United States (1985, after car crash).
- Bertram ('Jimmy') James - former Royal Air Force officer and Great Escape survivor (2008)
- Pete Postlethwaite - actor (2011)
- Geoff Morris - retired professional footballer, notably Walsall and Shrewsbury Town (2015).
- Princess Royal Hospital, Telford - the other site of the Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust
- List of hospitals in England
- "Operating Plan 2013/14" (PDF). Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust. Retrieved 5 September 2018.
- "More than 8,500 patients seen in A&E in a month as Shropshire hospitals record worst waiting times". Shropshire Star. 10 February 2018. Retrieved 11 September 2018.
- "Shropshire NHS memories star in birthday showcase". Shropshire Star. 2 July 2018. Retrieved 13 September 2018.
- "Ear, Nose and Throat Hospital". Wordpress. Retrieved 13 September 2018.
- "Homes deal for ex-hospital". Shropshire Star. 22 November 2007. Retrieved 13 September 2018.
- Shropshire Star, Saturday 1 May 1982, page 1 (First edition).
- "Lord Harlech killed in crash". Shropshire Star. 26 January 1985. p. 1.
- "'Great Escape' war veteran dies". BBC. 19 January 2008. Retrieved 13 September 2018.
- "Oscar-nominated actor Pete Postlethwaite dies aged 64". BBC. 3 January 2011. Retrieved 4 January 2011.
- "Death Notices - MORRIS, Geoffrey". Shropshire Star. 24 February 2015. Retrieved 24 February 2015.