Royal Society University Research Fellowship

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Royal Society University Research Fellowship (URF)
Awarded for Research fellowship for outstanding scientists who have the potential to become leaders in their field
Sponsored by Royal Society
Country United Kingdom
Reward(s)
  • 80% of basic salary costs up to £39k[1]
  • Research expenses of up to £13k[1]
Website royalsociety.org/grants-schemes-awards/grants/university-research/

The Royal Society University Research Fellowship (URF) is a research fellowship awarded to outstanding early career scientists in the United Kingdom who are judged by the Royal Society to have the potential to become leaders in their field.[1] The research fellowship funds all areas of research in natural science including life sciences, physical sciences and engineering, but excluding clinical medicine.[1]

University Research Fellows (URFs)[edit]

The URF scheme provides the opportunity for Research Fellows to build an independent career in scientific research. Fellows are expected to be strong candidates for permanent faculty posts and academic tenure in universities at the end of their fellowships. As of 2017, the fellowship funds up to 80% of basic salary costs for the awardee, with the other 20% usually provided by the University hosting the fellow. As of 2017, examples of current and former Fellows include:

Fellowships are awarded annually. In 2016, there were 25 universities across the UK and Ireland hosting 44 newly appointed University Research Fellowships.[19] In 2015, the success rate of applications was 8%.[20][21]

Several previous URFs have been subsequently elected a Fellow of the Royal Society, for example Athene Donald, Richard Borcherds, Frances Ashcroft[2] and David J. Wales.[17]

References[edit]

  1. ^ a b c d Anon (2017). "University Research Fellowship". royalsociety.org. Archived from the original on 2016-02-03. 
  2. ^ a b c d e f Cook, Alan (2000). "URFs become FRS: Frances Ashcroft, Athene Donald and John Pethica". Notes and Records of the Royal Society. London: Royal Society. 54 (3): 409–411. doi:10.1098/rsnr.2000.0181. 
  3. ^ Anon (2016). "Teresa Attwood Professor of Bioinformatics". manchester.ac.uk. Manchester. Archived from the original on 2016-12-24. 
  4. ^ Anon (2016). "Professor Sarah Jayne Blakemore". royalsociety.org. London. 
  5. ^ Anon (2016). "Sarah Bridle". royalsociety.org. London. 
  6. ^ Anon (2016). "Brian Cox". royalsociety.org. London. Archived from the original on 2016-04-29. 
  7. ^ Anon (2017). "Gideon Davies". royalsociety.org. London. 
  8. ^ Anon (2017). "Andrew Mackenzie, Max Planck Institute for Chemical Physics of Solids, Dresden". mpg.de. 
  9. ^ Anon (2016). "Zita Martins". royalsociety.org. London. 
  10. ^ Anon (2016). "Shahn Majid". royalsociety.org. London. 
  11. ^ Anon (2016). "Tanya Monro". royalsociety.org. London. 
  12. ^ Anon (2016). "Tom Sanders". royalsociety.org. London. 
  13. ^ "Suzie Sheehy - Royal Society". royalsociety.org. 
  14. ^ Anon (2010). "New director for Manchester Interdisciplinary Biocentre". manchester.ac.uk. Manchester: University of Manchester. Archived from the original on 2016-10-06. 
  15. ^ Anon (2016). "Beth Shapiro". royalsociety.org. London. 
  16. ^ "Stephen Warren". ic.ac.uk. 
  17. ^ a b Anon (2016). "Professor David Wales FRS". London: Royal Society. Archived from the original on 2016-04-29.  One or more of the preceding sentences incorporates text from the royalsociety.org website where:

    “All text published under the heading 'Biography' on Fellow profile pages is available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.” --"Royal Society Terms, conditions and policies". Archived from the original on September 25, 2015. Retrieved 2016-03-09. 

  18. ^ Willis, Kathy (2016). "Professor Kathy Willis". zoo.ox.ac.uk. Oxford. 
  19. ^ Anon (2016). "Royal Society announces University Research Fellowships for 2016". royalsociety.org. London. 
  20. ^ Anon (2017). "URF Scheme Notes 2017" (PDF). royalsociety.org. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2016-12-26. 
  21. ^ Anon (2016). "University Research Fellows Directory". Archived from the original on 2016-05-29.