Royal Stoke University Hospital
|Royal Stoke University Hospital|
|University Hospitals of North Midlands NHS Trust|
University Hospital of North Staffordshire
|Location||Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, England, United Kingdom|
|Care system||Public NHS|
|Affiliated university||Keele University School of Medicine|
|Emergency department||Yes Accident & Emergency|
|Lists||Hospitals in England|
Royal Stoke University Hospital (formerly the University Hospital of North Staffordshire) is a teaching and research hospital at Hartshill in the English county of Staffordshire. It lies in the city of Stoke-on-Trent, near the border with Newcastle-under-Lyme, and is one of the largest hospitals in the country and a major local employer, with over 6,000 staff. It is run by the University Hospitals of North Midlands NHS Trust.
The first hospital on the site, known as the Parish Hospital, was completed in 1842. This facility evolved to become the London Road Hospital and Institution by the early 20th century and became the City General Hospital in 1945. It joined the National Health Service in 1948.
New facilities were procured under a Private Finance Initiative contract to replace the both the City General Hospital and the North Staffordshire Royal Infirmary in 2007. The works, which were designed Ryder / HKS and carried out by Laing O'Rourke at a cost of £370 million on the old City General Hospital site, were completed August 2012.
Keele University School of Medicine
It is the main teaching hospital for the Keele University School of Medicine. The clinical undergraduate medical school and postgraduate medical school buildings are in the grounds of the hospital, as well as the Clinical Education Centre and the Keele University Health Library which is the main teaching facility for the School of Nursing and Midwifery.
- "Royal Stoke University Hospital". DrFoster.co.uk. Retrieved 2007-06-20.
- Malkin, Neville (1 November 1974). "City General Hospital, Newcastle". Retrieved 4 May 2018.
- "City General Hospital, Stoke on Trent". National Archives. Retrieved 22 October 2018.
- "Royal Stoke University Hospital". Red Lynch Leisure. Retrieved 4 May 2018.
- "Self Assessment Report" (PDF). Staffordshire Council. Retrieved 4 May 2018.
- "The Contract/Project Agreement (PA)" (PDF). University Hospital of North Staffordshire NHS Trust. Retrieved 4 May 2018.
- "School of Medicine". Keele University. Retrieved 4 May 2018.