Royal Victoria Regional Health Centre
|Royal Victoria Regional Health Centre|
|Location||201 Georgian Drive, Barrie, Ontario, Canada|
|Care system||Medicare (Canada)|
|Affiliated university||University of Toronto|
|Emergency department||Level II trauma centre|
|Helipad||TC LID: CRV2|
|Lists||Hospitals in Canada|
The Royal Victoria Regional Health Centre (formerly the Royal Victoria Hospital) is an Advanced Level II facility with stroke designation, serving the needs of the population of the City of Barrie and the surrounding area. The facility is located at 201 Georgian Drive in Barrie, Ontario, Canada. The CEO is Janice Skot. The hospital has a $340 million budget.
The Royal Victoria Regional Health Centre is a 299-bed acute care facility. With a team of over 380 physicians, 2,500 staff members and 850 volunteers, the RVH provides healthcare specializing in cancer care, surgical services, critical care, mental health rehabilitation services, as well as women and children's programs.
The Royal Victoria Regional Health Centre is the only hospital in Barrie and is the regional hospital for a large geographical region including central Simcoe County Barrie, Innisfil (Stroud, Gilford), south Springwater (Midhurst, Minesing, Snow Valley), south Oro- Medonte (Shanty Bay), a small portion of Essa Township (Ivy, Thornton).
The hospital dates to 1891, when it was known as the "Barrie General Hospital", which was located on Duckworth Street near Ardagh's Grove. The facility has relocated and expanded many times since its inception.
The number of beds is broken down as follows:
- 40 Complex Continuing Care beds
- 16 Critical Care beds
- 25 Mental Health beds
- 170 General Medical/Surgical beds
- 22 Obstetrical beds
- 9 Paediatric beds
- 14 Rehabilitation beds
- Advanced Level II Special Care Nursery
There are in excess of 83,000 visits to the Emergency Department, annually. RVH has 2,400 births each year. Since opening in 1997, activities across the board have virtually doubled.
In 2009, Royal Victoria Hospital embarked on the largest capital project in its history. The expansion program has been broken into Phase 1 and Phase 2. Construction of the main phase, Phase 1, is expected to conclude in the spring of 2012.
Phase one includes a $450 million redevelopment and expansion project that will almost double the size of the hospital, adding 400,000 square feet (37,000 m2) of space, and capacity for 165 additional inpatient beds, including a dedicated Coronary Care Unit; significant expansions of the Emergency Department, Diagnostic Imaging and Laboratory and two additional Operating Rooms. In addition to the significant expansion, another 100,000 square feet (9,300 m2) of the current facility will undergo extensive renovations.
The main features of the Phase 1 expansion include:
- The Simcoe Muskoka Regional Cancer Centre, which will log more than 65,000 patient visits in its first year
- 165 new inpatient beds, including a dedicated Coronary Care Unit for critically ill cardiac patients
- An Emergency Department that will triple in size and includes trauma, isolation areas, a clinical decision unit and mental health suite.
- An expanded Diagnostic Imaging Department will double in size to increase patient flow and privacy
- An expanded Laboratory
- Two new Operating Rooms which are larger than existing suites for complex surgeries
- Expansion space for two future patient care units
- "Rotary House", a residential lodge for cancer patients and their families who live more than 40 kilometres outside Barrie.
As Phase 1 nears completion, Phase 2 will begin. Phase 2 will consist of significant renovations to the existing hospital, including construction of new operating rooms, more patient beds, construction/update to the special care nursery (neonatal unit) and an expansion to the surgical unit.
- "RVH Strategic Plan" (PDF). Retrieved 3 November 2017.
- "ROYAL VICTORIA REGIONAL HEALTH CENTRE" (PDF). Royal Victoria Regional Health Centre. Retrieved 2 November 2017.
- "Group B - Classification of Hospitals". Ministry of Health and Longterm Care. 27 June 2017. Archived from the original on 3 November 2017. Retrieved 3 November 2017.
- "CADORS: Glossary of Terms". Transport Canada. 21 March 2012. Retrieved 2 November 2017.
- Grech, Sean (31 October 2017). "County of Simcoe pledges $5.6M to RVH". CTV Barrie. Retrieved 2 November 2017.
- McInroy, Ian (19 June 2017). "Barrie's Royal Victoria Regional Health Centre celebrates 120 years". The Barrie Examiner. Retrieved 3 November 2017.
- "Who We Are". Royal Victoria Regional Health Centre. Archived from the original on 2 November 2017. Retrieved 2 November 2017.
- "Staff reductions, energy conservation help Barrie's RVH balance budget". Barrie, ON: The Barrie Examiner. 14 February 2017.
- "General Information". Royal Victoria Regional Health Centre. Retrieved 3 November 2017.
- Burton, Bob (4 October 2017). "Barrie hospital looking to grow". The Barrie Examiner. Retrieved 2 November 2017.