Star Legend (ship)
Seabourn Cruise Line 1996-2015Windstar Cruises 2015
|Port of registry:|
|Laid down:||26 April 1990|
|Completed:||1 February 1992|
|Commissioned:||February 29, 1992 as Royal Viking Queen|
|Length:||135.0 m (442.9 ft)|
|Beam:||20.50 m (67.3 ft)|
|Draught:||5.415 m (17.77 ft)|
|Draft:||5.2 m (16.5 ft)|
|Installed power:||7280 kW|
Under one of her previous names, Seabourn Legend, she was featured in the 1997 film Speed 2: Cruise Control. In the movie, LAPD Police Officer Alex Shaw (Jason Patric) and his girlfriend Annie Porter (Sandra Bullock) are trapped on the ship, where navigation computers have been reprogrammed by a computer hacker (Willem Dafoe), setting the ship on a collision course with a supertanker.
The Construction of Royal Viking Queen began in 1990 by Schichau-Seebeckwerft in Bremerhaven, Germany. She was the last ship to be built for Royal Viking Line and the smallest. She was originally planned for Seabourn Cruise Line in 1990, was delayed due to investors' financial constraints and was ultimately purchased by Royal Viking Line. She was launched on May 1991, and was completed on February 1992. She was put into service for Kloster Cruise. She operated her sea trials and her maiden voyage began on February 11, 1992 and was finished on February 29, 1992. The ship operated on various crossings for Royal Viking Line, a Kloster subsidiary. During her service as Royal Viking Queen she was part of the world's leading cruise ships, consistently voted amongst the world's Top 10 cruise vessels by various publications.
In 1995, the vessel's name was changed to Queen Odyssey after she was assigned to Royal Cruise Line, another Kloster subsidiary. She remained in operation for Royal Cruise Line until January 1996, when she was sold to Seabourn and joined her sister ships.
- May 1991 — Launched
- February 11, 1992 — Operated sea trials.
- February 29, 1992 — Delivered to Kloster Cruise, Nassau, The Bahamas. Named Royal Viking Queen
- 1995 — Assigned to Royal Cruise Line, Renamed Queen Odyssey
- January 12, 1996 — Acquired by Seabourn Cruise Line, Oslo, Norway. Renamed Seabourn Legend
- 1997 — Featured in movie Speed 2: Cruise Control
- 2002 — Re-registered in Nassau, The Bahamas
- 2015 - Bought by Windstar Cruises and renamed Star Legend
- Official website
- Results for Vessel: Seabourn Legend, United States Coast Guard Maritime Information Exchange, including dimensions and tonnage.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Star Legend.|