Royal de Luxe
This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Royal de Luxe is a French mechanical marionette street theatre company. They were founded in 1979 in Aix-en-Provence by Jean-Luc Courcoult. After some years based in Toulouse, the company moved to Nantes in 1989. The company has performed in France, Belgium, England, Germany, Iceland, Chile, Australia, Mexico, Canada, Switzerland, Netherlands and Ireland.
|The Giant who fell from the sky||Le Havre||France||September 1993|
|Calais||France||June 1994||Channel Tunnel's opening|
|The Giant who fell from the sky, last voyage||Le Havre||France||October 1994|
|The Giant who fell from the sky in Barcelona||Barcelona||Spain||July 1997|
|Rhinoceros||Arles||France||July 1997||Arles International Photography Festival|
|Lisbon||Portugal||May 1998 to September 1998||1998 Lisbon World Exposition|
|Return from Africa||Le Havre||France||June 1998|
|Antwerp||Belgium||August 1998||Zomer van Antwerpen|
|Giraffes Hunter||Nantes||France||September 2000|
|Le Havre||France||October 2000|
|The Sultan of the Indies visit on his time travelling Elephant||Nantes||France||May 2005||Jules Verne Death Centenary||150,000|
|Amiens||France||June 2005||Jules Verne Death Centenary|
|London||England||May 2006||1 million|
|Antwerp||Belgium||July 2006||Zomer van Antwerpen||650,000|
|Le Havre||France||October 2006||300,000|
|The Giant : visits the pont du Gard||Vers-Pont-du-Gard||France||August 2006|
|The Hidden Rhinoceros||Santiago||Chile||January 2007||Santiago a Mil International Theater Festival||2 million|
|The geyser of Reykjavik||Reykjavik||Iceland||May 2007||Reykjavík Arts Festival||50,000|
|The fabulous story of the warrior buried alive of Santa Maria||Santa Maria da Feira||Portugal||May 2008||International Theatre Festival of Santa Maria da Feira|
|The Giantess of the Titanic and the deep-sea diver||Nantes
|France||June 2009||Biennial contemporain art opening 'Estuaire' 2009||350,000|
|The Berlin appointment||Berlin||Germany||October 2009||20th Anniversary of the Fall of the Berlin Wall||1.5 million|
|The Invitation Chile||Santiago||Chile||January 2010||Celebrations of the Bicentennial of Chile||3 million|
|The deep-sea diver, his hand, and the Little Girl-Giant||Antwerp||Belgium||August 2010||Zomer van Antwerpen||800,000|
|The Giant of Guadalajara||Guadalajara||Mexico||November 2010||Bicentennial celebrations of the Mexican War of Independence
Mexican Revolution Centenary
|The wall fallen from the sky in Guadalajara||Guadalajara||Mexico||November 2010||Fresco painted in the style of Mexican artist Diego Rivera||-|
|El Xolo||Nantes||France||May 2011||600,000|
|The wall fallen from the sky in Nantes||Nantes||France||May 2011||Fresco painted in the style of Mexican artist Diego Rivera||-|
|Sea Odyssey||Liverpool||England||April 2012||Centenary of the sinking of the Titanic||800,000|
|Planck's wall||Nantes||France||June 2014||500,000|
|Memories of August 1914||Liverpool||England||July 2014||Liverpool's World War I centenary commemorations||1 million|
|The Grandmother fallen from the galaxy into a field in Munster||Limerick||Ireland||September 2014||National City of Culture 2014||250,000|
|The Incredible and Phenomenal Journey of the Giants to the Streets of Perth||Perth||Australia||February 2015||Perth International Arts Festival
|The Giants||Antwerp||Belgium||June 2015||Zomer van Antwerpen||900,000|
|Les Géants - La grande invitation||Montreal||Canada||May 2017||Montreal's 375th birthday|
|The Knight of the Lost Time (Le chevalier du temps perdu)||Geneva||Switzerland||September–October 2017||850,000|
|Big skate in de ice/Fight against the water||Leeuwarden||Netherlands||August 2018||European Capital of Culture 2018||425,000/450,000|
|Liverpool's Dream||Liverpool||England||October 2018
|10 Year Anniversary of Liverpool's European Capital of Culture||Estimated 1.3 Million
This theater has been performed 44 times.
- The true history of France
- Roman photo tournage
- The Peplum (with odorama)
- Revolt of the Mannequins. After Nantes in February 2008 and Antwerp, in July 2008, It was played in Berlin, in November 2008
- They were also said to have made another giant, more lightweight elephant used in Take That Presents: The Circus Live, atop which the four band members performed "The Garden". This elephant had to be made much more lightweight to be transported between venues.
- La Princesse, a giant mechanical spider designed by the same man who designed the Sultan's Elephant but produced by La Machine - a different performing arts company.
- Les Balayeurs du désert, an accompanying band who perform much of the music for productions run by the Royal de Luxe.
- Machines of the Isle of Nantes
- Ash, Lucy (24 December 2012). "Street theatre revives French city" – via www.bbc.co.uk.
- "The company". Royal de Luxe. Retrieved 2018-09-04.
- Total Iceland population in 2007 = 307.672
- "Regular festivals 'must be held to draw thousands' to Limerick".
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2015-02-15. Retrieved 2015-02-15.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "The Giants, Antwerp, 2015".
- News, Flanders (22 June 2015). "Almost a million to see the Antwerp giants".
- "Montréal fête son 375e". www.375mtl.com.
- "Montréal fête son 375e". www.375mtl.com.
- "La "Saga des géants" débarque le 29 septembre dans les rues de Genève".
- "850'000 spectateurs pour la saga des Géants".
- La Révolte des Mannequins (2008)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Royal de Luxe.|
- Royal de Luxe official site
- About Royal De Luxe (note that as of October, 2008, the site had no new updates since 2006)
- BBC, "How giants genius Jean-Luc Courcoult fell for Liverpool", 25 July 2014
- BBC article about Royal de Luxe, 24 December 2012
- La Révolte des Mannequins ("Revolt of the Mannequins") Extensive photoblog of Royal de Luxe's show in Nantes, France, February 2008
- I, for one, welcome the Giant French Rocket Girl and her Elephant of Royal Luxury! has a collection of links about the performance in Nantes
- The Sultan's Elephant in London
- Extracts from an interview with Jean Luc Courcoult by Jean-Christophe Planche
- The Sultan's Elephant in Le Havre on October 2006. Pictures and videos
- Photos and info, news, links etc. from Royal de Luxe events all over the world.
- Photo Album about Royal de Luxe on Fotopedia
- "Street Theatre and a Giant Elephant". BBC Radio 4. 21 November 2012.
|This France-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|