Born: January 2, 1970|
|September 20, 1991, for the San Francisco Giants|
|Last MLB appearance|
|September 30, 2007, for the Boston Red Sox|
|Runs batted in||723|
|Career highlights and awards|
Royce Spencer Clayton (born January 2, 1970) is an American former Major League Baseball shortstop and has appeared in two films. He is currently the head varsity baseball coach at Oaks Christian School.
Clayton was born in Burbank, California to Antoinette and Royal Clayton. He played baseball at St. Bernard High School in Los Angeles and signed a letter of intent to play college baseball for the USC Trojans.
San Francisco Giants
He was drafted out of St. Bernard High School in Playa del Rey in the first round (15th pick overall) of the 1988 Major League Baseball draft by the San Francisco Giants, and made his major league debut for the Giants on September 20, 1991. He played for the Giants for the first five seasons of his baseball career.
St. Louis Cardinals and Boston Red Sox
In 1997, Clayton was selected to represent the St. Louis Cardinals at the 1997 Major League Baseball All-Star Game. He also won a ring in the 2007 World Series since he played 8 games with the Boston Red Sox and started one.
In April 2000, Clayton had a heated confrontation in the clubhouse weight room with teammate Chad Curtis that nearly came to blows, after Curtis insisted on turning off rap music that Clayton was playing whose lyrics Curtis objected to.
- "Royce Clayton Statistics and History | Baseball-Reference.com". Baseball-Reference.com. Retrieved 2015-10-01.
- "MLB All-Star Veteran leads OCS Baseball | oakschristian.org".
- Raatz, David (22 June 1990). "Ex-St. Bernard Star Is the Rolls-Royce of California League". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 7 January 2018.
- "Royce Clayton Baseball Stats by Baseball Almanac".
- Hanlon, Greg (April 3, 2014). "Sins of the Preacher: How Chad Curtis went from hero to convict". SportsonEarth.com. Retrieved April 8, 2014.
- Lee, Edward (February 9, 2005), "Sour notes in clubhouse. Baseball: The pre- and post-game tunes that soothe one player have been known to enrage another", The Baltimore Sun, retrieved May 29, 2017
- Krattenmaker, Tom (2010), Onward Christian Athletes: Turning Ballparks Into Pulpits and Players Into Preachers, Rowman & Littlefield, p. 184, ISBN 9780742562479
- Rogers, Phil (May 21, 2000), Rangers' Feud Tangled In Web, Clayton, Curtis At Odds Over Clubhouse Music, Chicago Tribune, retrieved May 29, 2017
- "Alumnus of the Month: Jorge Sanchez '87". Hofstra University. Retrieved 2010-01-30.
- Royce Clayton to play the role of Miguel Tejada in "Moneyball" movie
- "Royal Clayton Minor, Mexican & Independent Leagues Statistics & History". Baseball-Reference.com. Sports Reference. Retrieved 7 January 2018.