Peri Gilpin as Roz Doyle
|First appearance||"Good Son"|
|Last appearance||"Goodnight, Seattle"|
|Portrayed by||Peri Gilpin|
Radio show producer (1983-2004)Station Manager (2004-present)
|Children||Alice May Doyle|
Rozalinda (Roz) Doyle is a fictional character on the American television sitcom Frasier. She is played by Peri Gilpin. Roz is the producer of Frasier Crane's Dr. Frasier Crane Show on KACL 780AM. Although initially reluctant to take the job, she and Frasier soon become good friends.
Background and role in the series
||This section describes a work or element of fiction in a primarily in-universe style. (December 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Roz was born on May 5, 1964, in Bloomer, Wisconsin. Her mother Joanna (Eva Marie Saint) was a longtime politician there and serves as Attorney General. She has a sister, Denise, whom she resents for her supposedly perfect life. Roz's parents are divorced, and she ends her relationship with her father when he starts dating a woman younger than she. Her maternal grandmother was an immigrant from Ireland. Frustrated with small-town Wisconsin, Roz moved to Seattle as an adult to pursue a career in radio, and worked in the industry for about 10 years before joining Frasier.
Roz has an extremely active sex life; her promiscuity is the subject of jokes and snide remarks, especially from Frasier's brother Niles. Roz has a Tweety Bird tattooed on her upper thigh. Roz worries about her appearance as she ages, and is concerned that she will never fall in love and get married. She has several brief flings with co-workers, including Bob "Bulldog" Briscoe (much to her later chagrin). In one episode, it is revealed that, like Sam Malone, Roz has a "black book" containing the names and numbers of her numerous past conquests.
Early in the series, Roz and Frasier have a rather strained relationship. But as the show goes on, they become very close, often consoling each other through hard times. Nevertheless, the teasing, sardonic element continues through their friendship.
Roz has an antagonistic relationship with Frasier's brother, Niles; she teases him about his effete mannerisms and snobbery, while he teases her about her abundance of partners. Their mutual bickering fades gradually as the series progresses and they become more friendly, although this never completely vanishes from their relationship. Roz also defends Niles when he has a nervous breakdown.
Early in the fifth season, Roz discovers that she is pregnant with the child of a 20-year-old college student with whom she had a brief fling. By the end of the season, Roz gives birth to a girl, whom she names Alice.
Late in the ninth season, Roz finally manages to maintain a seemingly stable relationship with Roger, a garbageman, but they break up when they see that their relationship chemistry isn't right. Frasier consoles her, and this eventually leads them to sleep together. Roz subsequently flees home to Wisconsin, while Frasier chases after her in an attempt to remedy the situation. Frasier ends up posing as Roger, whom the Doyle family had been very excited to meet, although previously being a bit skeptical that Roger was not merely a falsehood constructed by Roz (due to Roz's romantic history). It is here that Roz and Frasier reconcile, and agree to remain friends.
Roz is also very close to Frasier's father Martin. She is the only regular character to address him as Marty. While Frasier and Niles are interested in high culture, Roz and Martin share a more down-to-earth view of life, and grow close over the series. Roz is often invited to join Martin's poker games, which his own sons are not. In one episode when Roz drops by Frasier's apartment, Martin greets her by asking "Hey, Roz, how's my girlfriend?"
Roz is also close to Martin's physical therapist Daphne Moon, as they are the only two women who are constant in the Crane men's lives. They become best friends, and Daphne invites Roz to be a bridesmaid at her wedding to attorney Donny Douglas. She is also invited to be the maid of honor at Daphne's wedding to Niles; however, Daphne elopes with Niles in Reno, Nevada and Roz is not present for their real wedding.
- "Paying tribute to a friend". USA Today. ProQuest Archiver. May 12, 1994. Retrieved 2011-05-22.
- Zaslow, Jeffrey. (October 8, 2000). "Balancing friends and family". USA Weekend.
- "Crock Tales". Frasier. Season 11. Episode 22. May 4, 2004. NBC.
- "Here's Looking at You". Frasier. Season 1. Episode 5. October 14, 1993. NBC.
- "And the Whimper Is...". Frasier. Season 1. Episode 18. February 17, 1994. NBC.
- "The Dog That Rocks the Cradle". Frasier. Season 7. Episode 5. October 21, 1999. NBC.
- "Murder Most Maris". Frasier. Season 11. Episode 8. November 11, 2003. NBC.
- "The Kid". Frasier. Season 5. Episode 4. November 4, 1997. NBC.
- "Sweet Dreams". Frasier. Season 5. Episode 24. May 9, 1998. NBC.
- "Frasier Has Spokane". Frasier. Season 9. Episode 22. May 7, 2002. NBC.
- "The Guilt Trippers". Frasier. Season 9. Episode 23. May 14, 2002. NBC.
- "Three Blind Dates". Frasier. Season 9. Episode 17. March 5, 2002. NBC.
- "Moons Over Seattle". Frasier. Season 9. Episode 24. May 21, 2002. NBC.
- "Goodnight, Seattle". Frasier. Season 11. Episode 24. May 13, 2004. NBC.