|Area||39.700 km2 (15.328 sq mi)|
|Density||1,755/km2 (4,545/sq mi)|
|Postal code||82101, 82102, 82103, 82104, 82105, 82108|
|Car plate||BA, BL|
Ružinov (Slovak pronunciation: [ˈruʒinow]) is a borough of eastern Bratislava. It is the city's second most populated borough, housing over 70,000 inhabitants. The borough features the Milan Rastislav Štefánik international airport, the Slovnaft refinery, Avion Shopping Park mall, Ružinov hospital, Štrkovec lake, Zlaté Piesky recreational area and numerous schools and churches.
Ružinov is bordered by the borough of Old Town to the north-west, Nové Mesto to the north, Rača and Vajnory to the north-east, Podunajské Biskupice to the south and Petržalka to the west across the river Danube.
In place of today's Ružinov there were originally meadows, pastures, grasslands and woodland, interspersed with islands and channels of the Danube. The people living here worked in agriculture, ranching and logging. In the 19th century, the agricultural character of the area was slowly disappearing, as many new factories were built in the area. The current name was only coined in the 20th century, and is based on the term Ružový ostrov, which translates as the Rose Island (German: Rosenheim).
Today, Ružinov is a location for many industrial businesses, shopping centres, financial businesses and banks. Industrial plants such as Slovnaft and Gumon, and the cargo Port of Bratislava, are located here. Apart from the chemical industry it is home to food and construction industries. The open-air Market Place Miletičova, Bratislava’s largest and most frequented, is also located in Ružinov. The Milan Rastislav Štefánik international airport is also located here. The largest shopping center in Slovakia Avion Shopping Park is based in Ružinov, with the Ikea store and surrounded by new office buildings and two hotels (Hotel Gate One Bratislava and Chopin Airport Hotel).
Despite its industrial character, Ružinov is considered to be a relatively green part of Bratislava. In contrast to other city districts, it is rich in streams and lakes (such as Rohlík lake), with a total water area of 616,000 m². At the heart of Ružinov there is the Štrkovec Lake area, a major recreational and sporting centre for Bratislava. Other lakes include Zlaté Piesky, a major summer resort, Rohlík and Kuchajda.
- The main building of the Faculty of Law of the Bratislava School of Law is located on Tomášikova Street
- Elementary schools: ZŠ Borodáčova Street, ZŠ Drieňová Street, ZŠ Kulíškova Street, ZŠ Medzilaborecká Street, ZŠ Mierová Street, ZŠ Nevädzová Street, ZŠ Ostredková Street, ZŠ Ružová dolina Street, ZŠ Vrútocká Street
- There is also the United Church School of Saint Vincent de Paul which combines an elementary school and high school
- Kindergartens: MŠ Bancíkovej Street 2 (including MŠ Exnárova Street 6 and MŠ Šťastnej Street 26), MŠ Miletičova Street 37 (including MŠ Gemerská Street), MŠ Piesočná Street 2 (including MŠ Rádiova 52 and MŠ Západnej Street 2), MŠ Pivonková Street 9 (including MŠ Astrová Street 5, MŠ Nevädzová Street 12 and MŠ Šalviová Street 5), MŠ Prešovská Street 28 (including MŠ Palkovičova Street 11/A), MŠ Habarka, Stálicova Street 2 (including MŠ Haburská Street 4, 6 and MŠ Medzilaborecká Street 4), MŠ Velehradská Street 24 (including MŠ Budovateľská Street 10 and MŠ Tekovská Street 7)
In the school year 2012/2013, 586 children were accepted into the seven Ružinov kindergartens, 229 children were rejected due to lack of space.
- Mestská a obecná štatistika SR
- "AVION Shopping Park is largest shopping center in Slovakia" (in Slovak). 2007-04-12. Retrieved 2011-01-20.