RuPaul's Drag Race (season 5)
|RuPaul's Drag Race|
|Broadcast from||January 28 –|
May 6, 2013
The fifth season of RuPaul's Drag Race began airing on January 28, 2013, with a 90-minute premiere episode. It had the most contestants since the creation of the show with fourteen.
As this season's winner, Jinkx Monsoon walked away with the title of "America's Next Drag Superstar" along with a lifetime supply of Colorevolution Cosmetics, a one-of-a-kind trip courtesy of AlandChuck.travel, a headlining spot on Logo's Drag Race Tour featuring Absolut Vodka and a cash prize of $100 000. Santino Rice and Michelle Visage were back as judges at the panel. The theme song playing during the runway every episode is "I Bring the Beat", while the song playing during the credits is "The Beginning", both songs are from RuPaul's album Glamazon.
Alaska, Alyssa Edwards, Coco Montrese, Detox and Roxxxy Andrews competed on the second season of All Stars. Coco placed 10th, Alyssa placed 5th, Roxxxy placed 4th and Detox was runner-up with season 7 contestant Katya. Alaska won the competition.
(Ages and names stated are at time of contest)
|Jinkx Monsoon||Jerick Hoffer||24||Seattle, Washington||Winner|
|Alaska[a]||Justin Honard||27||Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania||Runner-up|
|Roxxxy Andrews||Michael Feliciano||28||Orlando, Florida|
|Detox[b]||Matthew Sanderson||27||Los Angeles, California||4th Place|
|Coco Montrese||Martin Cooper||37||Las Vegas, Nevada||5th Place|
|Alyssa Edwards||Justin Johnson||32||Mesquite, Texas||6th Place|
|Ivy Winters||Dustin Winters||22||Greenville, Michigan||7th Place|
|Jade Jolie||Josh Green||25||Gainesville, Florida||8th Place|
|Lineysha Sparx||Andy Trinidad||24||San Juan, Puerto Rico||9th Place|
|Honey Mahogany||Alpha Mulugeta||29||San Francisco, California||10th/11th Place|
|Vivienne Pinay||Michael Donehoo||26||New York, New York|
|Monica Beverly Hillz||Juan DeJesus Anaya||27||Owensboro, Kentucky||12th Place|
|Serena ChaCha||Myron Morgan||21||Tallahassee, Florida||13th Place|
|Penny Tration||Tony Cody||39||Cincinnati, Ohio||14th Place|
- Alaska Thunderfuck 5000 is simply known as Alaska on the show.
- Detox Icunt is simply known as Detox on the show.
|Ivy Winters||HIGH||HIGH||SAFE||HIGH||LOW||WIN||LOW||ELIM||Miss C|
|Monica Beverly Hillz||SAFE||BTM2||ELIM||Guest|
- The contestant won RuPaul's Drag Race.
- The contestant was the runner-up of RuPaul's Drag Race.
- The contestant was voted Miss Congeniality by viewers.
- The contestant won a challenge.
- The contestant received positive judges' critiques but was ultimately declared safe.
- The contestant received judges' critiques but was ultimately declared safe.
- The contestant received negative judges' critiques but was ultimately declared safe.
- The contestant was in the bottom two.
- The contestant was eliminated.
- The contestant returned as a guest for the finale episode.
|1||Penny Tration||vs.||Serena ChaCha||"Party in the U.S.A."
|2||Monica Beverly Hillz||vs.||Serena ChaCha||"Only Girl (In the World)"
|3||Coco Montrese||vs.||Monica Beverly Hillz||"When I Grow Up"
(The Pussycat Dolls)
|Monica Beverly Hillz|
|4||Honey Mahogany||vs.||Vivienne Pinay||"Oops!... I Did It Again"
|5||Detox||vs.||Lineysha Sparx||"Take Me Home"
|6||Coco Montrese||vs.||Jade Jolie||"I'm So Excited"
(The Pointer Sisters)
|7||Alyssa Edwards||vs.||Roxxxy Andrews||"Whip My Hair"
|8||Alyssa Edwards||vs.||Ivy Winters||"Ain't Nothin' Goin' on But the Rent"
|9||Alyssa Edwards||vs.||Coco Montrese||"Cold Hearted"
|10||Coco Montrese||vs.||Detox||"(It Takes) Two to Make it Right"
|11||Detox||vs.||Jinkx Monsoon||"Malambo No. 1"
|12||Alaska vs. Jinkx Monsoon vs. Roxxxy Andrews||"The Beginning"
- The contestant was eliminated after their first time in the bottom two.
- The contestant was eliminated after their second time in the bottom two.
- The contestant was eliminated after their third time in the bottom two.
- The contestant was eliminated after their fourth time in the bottom two.
Listed in chronological order:
- Camille Grammer, television personality
- Mike Ruiz, photographer
- Kristen Johnston, actress
- Juliette Lewis, actress and singer
- Coco, model
- Paulina Porizkova, model and actress
- Chaz Bono, writer and activist
- Travis Wall, dancer
- Julie Brown, actress-comedian
- Downtown Julie Brown, actress and MTV VJ
- La Toya Jackson, singer
- The Pointer Sisters (Anita and Ruth), girl group
- Leslie Jordan, actor
- Jeffrey Moran, Absolut Vodka marketing/branding executive
- Aubrey O’Day, singer
- Joan Van Ark, actress
- María Conchita Alonso, singer/songwriter and actress
- Jamie-Lynn Sigler, actress and singer
- Clinton Kelly, fashion stylist
- George Kotsiopoulos, editor and fashion consultant
- Marg Helgenberger, actress
- Bob Mackie, fashion designer
Guests who appeared in episodes, but did not judge on the main stage:
- Ian Drew, Entertainment Director of Us Weekly
- Deven Green, comedian and musician
- Nadya Ginsberg, comedian, actress, and writer
- Bruce Vilanch, writer and actor
- Wilmer Valderrama, actor
- Gloria Allred, lawyer
- Mathu Andersen, make-up artist and photographer
- Candis Cayne, actress and performance artist
|Title||Original air date|
|52||1||"RuPaullywood or Bust"||January 28, 2013|
For the first time ever fourteen new queens begin their quests for the title of "America's Next Drag Superstar."
|53||2||"Lip Synch Extravaganza Eleganza"||February 4, 2013|
|54||3||"Draggle Rock"||February 11, 2013|
|55||4||"Black Swan: Why It Gotta Be Black?"||February 18, 2013|
|56||5||"Snatch Game"||February 25, 2013|
The queens compete in a star-studded TV game show that showcases their celebrity impersonations.
|57||6||"Can I Get An Amen?"||March 4, 2013|
The queens test their vocal abilities as they sing in RuPaul's 1980s "We Are The World"-inspired charity single.
|58||7||"RuPaul Roast"||March 11, 2013|
The queens' comedy skills are put on the spot as they must roast RuPaul and the celebrity judges in front of a live audience.
|59||8||"Scent of a Drag Queen"||March 18, 2013|
The queens create, market and film a commercial for their own signature fragrance.
|60||9||"Drama Queens"||April 1, 2013|
The competition gets spicy as the queens star with Wilmer Valderrama in a sexy Latin telenovela acting challenge.
|61||10||"Super Troopers"||April 8, 2013|
|62||11||"Sugar Ball"||April 15, 2013|
The race gets sticky and sweet, when the queens compete in a pageant of candy inspired couture.
|63||12||"The Final Three, Hunty"||April 22, 2013|
|64||13||"Countdown to the Crown"||April 29, 2013|
|A look back on the highlights, low-lights, and previously unseen footage from the season as we race toward the climactic crowning of America's Next Drag Superstar. With guest appearances by Latrice Royale, Willam, and Sharon Needles.|
|65||14||"Reunited!"||May 6, 2013|
Wigs fly as the queens discuss the drama of the season. Plus, both "America's Next Drag Superstar" and "Miss Congeniality" are crowned. The episode was filmed on May 1, 2013 in Los Angeles.
The overnight ratings for the fifth-season premiere of Rupaul's Drag Race reinforced the show's position as LOGO's juggernaut. "Monday night's 9PM season five premiere of "RuPaul's Drag Race" worked the ratings runway, averaging a .8 rating in the P18-49 demo. This number represents a 33% increase over Logo's previous top-rated season premiere (fourth-season premiere of "RuPaul's Drag Race") and clocks in as the highest-rated season premiere in Logo history.
Additionally, the 90-minute premiere tallied 565,000 total viewers tuning in to meet the new cast of 14 drag queen hopefuls who will fight it out to be crowned "America's Next Drag Superstar." The fifth-season premiere night of "RuPaul's Drag Race" and companion series "Untucked: RuPaul's Drag Race" delivered over 1.3 million viewers.
Furthermore, "Untucked: RuPaul's Drag Race" was the most-watched premiere ever averaging 291,000 total viewers and a .5 rating P18-49. On social media platforms for premiere night, "RuPaul's Drag Race" and "Untucked: RuPaul's Drag Race" showed a 136% increase in social activity versus the fourth-season premiere – this includes tweets, Facebook posts and Get Glue check-ins.
- Shumaker, Jason; Jake Slane (2012-12-10). ""THE QUEENS OF "RUPAUL'S DRAG RACE" SEASON FIVE BEGIN THEIR BATTLE FOR THE CROWN ON MONDAY, JANUARY 28 ON LOGO". Logo Press Room. Logo. Retrieved 2012-12-10.
- "International Drag Artist, CoCo Montrese Says Marriage is No Drag" (Press release). KeepLoveLovely.com. September 13, 2016. Archived from the original on June 16, 2017. Retrieved June 16, 2017 – via PR.com.
- Virtel, Louis (March 14, 2013). "The 10 Hottest "RuPaul's Drag Race" Contestants Out of Drag". NewNowNext.com (Logo TV / Viacom International. Archived from the original on March 28, 2017. Retrieved March 28, 2017.
- ""RuPaul's Drag Race" Seventh Eliminated Queen: "I Was Underestimated Every Challenge."". LOGO News. Retrieved 2018-02-17.
- "RuPaul's Drag Race' Fourth Elimination Interview: "Quite Honestly, I Deserved to Stay."". LOGO News. Retrieved 2018-02-17.
- "Myron Morgan | stephanotis chicago". stephanotischicago.wordpress.com. Retrieved 2018-02-17.
- "First Eliminated "Drag Race" Contestant Speaks: "It Felt Like a Setup."". LOGO News. Retrieved 2018-02-17.
- "RuPaul's Drag Race, Season 5". iTunes Store (United States). January 29, 2013. Retrieved March 14, 2018.
- "RuPaullywood or Bust". RuPaul's Drag Race. Season 5. Episode 1. January 28, 2013.
- "Lip Synch Extravaganza Eleganza". RuPaul's Drag Race. Season 5. Episode 2. February 4, 2013.
- "Draggle Rock". RuPaul's Drag Race. Season 5. Episode 3. February 11, 2013.
- "Black Swan: Why It Gotta Be Black?". RuPaul's Drag Race. Season 5. Episode 4. February 18, 2013.
- "Snatch Game". RuPaul's Drag Race. Season 5. Episode 5. February 25, 2013.
- "Can I Get An Amen?". RuPaul's Drag Race. Season 5. Episode 6. March 4, 2013.
- "RuPaul Roast". RuPaul's Drag Race. Season 5. Episode 7. March 11, 2013.
- "Scent of a Drag Queen". RuPaul's Drag Race. Season 5. Episode 8. March 18, 2013.
- "Drama Queens". RuPaul's Drag Race. Season 5. Episode 9. April 1, 2013.
- "Super Troopers". RuPaul's Drag Race. Season 5. Episode 10. April 8, 2013.
- "Sugar Ball". RuPaul's Drag Race. Season 5. Episode 11. April 15, 2013.
- "The Final Three, Hunty". RuPaul's Drag Race. Season 5. Episode 12. April 22, 2013.
- "Reunited!". RuPaul's Drag Race. Season 5. Episode 14. May 6, 2013.
- "Enter For A Chance To Get Tickets to the RuPaul's Drag Race Reunion!". worldofwonder.net. 28 April 2013.
- Shumaker, Jason (January 29, 2013). ""LOGO'S SEASON DEBUT OF "RUPAUL'S DRAG RACE" ON MONDAY NIGHT SCORES AS THE HIGHEST-RATED PREMIERE IN NETWORK HISTORY". Logo Press Room. Logo. Retrieved January 30, 2012.