Rubén Iván Martínez
|Full name||Rubén Iván Martínez Andrade|
|Date of birth||22 June 1984|
|Place of birth||Coristanco, Spain|
|Height||1.87 m (6 ft 1 1⁄2 in)|
|Deportivo La Coruña|
|2007–2008||→ Racing Ferrol (loan)||0||(0)|
|2012–2013||→ Rayo Vallecano (loan)||30||(0)|
|2016–||Deportivo La Coruña||17||(0)|
|2017||→ Anderlecht (loan)||1||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 28 February 2018.
Born in Coristanco, Galicia, Rubén moved to FC Barcelona's youth ranks in 1997, and reached the club's reserves five years later. As Turkey's Rüştü Reçber went on loan in the 2004–05 season he was handed the role of third-choice in the first team, behind Víctor Valdés and Albert Jorquera.
On 18 December 2004, Rubén entered the pitch for Xavi after Valdés' dismissal in a 1–1 away draw against Valencia CF, and kept his place for the subsequent 2–1 La Liga win over Levante UD. After some more years in the B-squad and an unassuming second division loan at Racing de Ferrol (no games played, eventual relegation), he was released by Barcelona, joining FC Cartagena in the third level and going on to play in more than 80 official matches in his first two seasons combined, promoting in the first and nearly repeating the feat in the second.
On 25 August 2010, Rubén was sold to Málaga CF for €1.35 million. He made his official debut on 23 September, keeping a clean sheet in a 2–0 win at Getafe CF. However, in late December, he fractured his right wrist in training – his second major physical ailment whilst at the club – being sidelined for the rest of the campaign and prompting the Andalusians to sign another goalkeeper in the winter transfer window, as Sergio Asenjo also suffered a severe injury (knee).
After a series of bad performances upon his recovery and also due to the managerial change at Málaga, Rubén lost his position to Willy Caballero, being further demoted to third-choice after the club signed Carlos Kameni in January 2012. He was loaned to fellow league side Rayo Vallecano for the 2012–13 season.
On 23 July 2013, Rubén returned to the Madrid club on a permanent deal, signing a one-year contract. On 28 May of the following year, he moved to fellow league team UD Almería in a one-year deal.
On 2 June 2015, after suffering relegation with the Andalusians, Rubén agreed to a three-year contract with Levante UD. After again dropping down a level, he joined Deportivo de La Coruña after cutting ties with the former.
In late January 2017, Rubén was loaned to Belgian club R.S.C. Anderlecht as Davy Roef moved in the opposite direction in a similar move. He made his debut on 16 February, keeping a clean sheet in a 2–0 home win against FC Zenit Saint Petersburg for the round-of-32 of the UEFA Europa League, which was also his first ever appearance in European competition.
- Spain U23
- Spain U20
- El Barça salva un punto con un penalti inexistente (Barça rescue one point with invented penalty); El Mundo, 18 December 2004 (in Spanish)
- Eto'o fulmina a un Levante que no mereció perder (Eto'o obliterates Levante that did not deserve to lose); El Mundo, 21 December 2004 (in Spanish)
- Rubén, octavo fichaje del Málaga 2010/11 (Rubén, eighth Málaga signing for 2010/11); Málaga CF, 31 August 2010 (in Spanish)
- Away day joy for Malaga; ESPN Soccernet, 23 September 2010
- Rubén estará entre dos y tres meses de baja tras romperse la muñeca (Rubén to miss two or three months after wrist fracture); Viva Fútbol, 1 January 2011 (in Spanish)
- Rubén jugará cedido en el Rayo Vallecano (Rubén will play with Rayo Vallecano on loan); Rayo Herald, 18 July 2012 (in Spanish)
- Rubén regresa al Rayo (Rubén returns to Rayo); Marca, 23 July 2013 (in Spanish)
- Rubén, portero procedente del Rayo Vallecano, ficha por el Almería (Rubén, goalkeeper from Rayo Vallecano, signs for Almería) Archived 29 May 2014 at the Wayback Machine.; UD Almería, 28 May 2014 (in Spanish)
- El Levante UD llega a un principio de acuerdo con el portero Rubén Martínez (Levante UD reach agreement in principle with goalkeeper Rubén Martínez) Archived 12 July 2015 at the Wayback Machine.; Levante UD, 2 June 2015 (in Spanish)
- Rubén Martínez, nuevo portero del Deportivo (Rubén Martínez, new goalkeeper of Deportivo); Mundo Deportivo, 2 July 2016 (in Spanish)
- Oficial: Davy Roef in, Rubén Martínez out, intercambio de cromos en las porterías de Dépor y Anderletch [sic] (Official: Davy Roef in, Rubén Martínez out, exchange of cards in Dépor and Anderletch's goals); Tercer Equipo, 24 January 2017 (in Spanish)
- Rubén Martínez Andrade to RSCA, Davy Roef to La Coruña; RSC Anderlecht, 25 January 2017
- RSCA convincingly beat Zenit (2–0); RSC Anderlecht, 16 February 2017