Ruben A. Aquino
|Ruben A. Aquino|
|Alma mater||University of Pennsylvania|
|Occupation||Supervising Animator at Walt Disney Animation Studios|
Ruben A. Aquino is a Filipino-Japanese American character animator and supervising animator who formerly worked at Walt Disney Animation Studios. His work has included several Disney characters, including Simba as an adult in The Lion King, Chief Powhatan in Pocahontas, Maurice in Beauty and the Beast, Denahi in Brother Bear, Shang in Mulan, and Ursula in The Little Mermaid. In March 2013, it was announced that Aquino had been laid off, as well as 8 other animators who worked at the studio, including Nik Ranieri.
His style is easily recognized by his powerful figures and his extremely geometric facial movements.
He studied in Christ the King International School in Okinawa from kindergarten to high school and graduated in 1971. He attended the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia and majored in Architecture.
Months later, he was able to enter Walt Disney Feature Animation's clean-up training program and after completing it, he worked on a 30-second animation test of Fflewddur Fflam from The Black Cauldron and submitted it to the review board. He was promoted to animating assistant and has been working for Disney since 1982.
Supervising Animator Credits
- Francis, Rita, 'Streets of Gold' - Oliver & Company (1988)
- Ursula - The Little Mermaid (1989)
- Jake - The Rescuers Down Under (1990)
- Maurice - Beauty and the Beast (1991)
- Razoul - Aladdin (1992)
- Adult Simba - The Lion King (1994)
- Powhatan - Pocahontas (1995)
- Shang, Fa Li - Mulan (1998)
- Pleakly, David - Lilo & Stitch (2002)
- Denahi - Brother Bear (2003)
- Eudora And James - The Princess and the Frog (2009)
- "Ruben Aquino - Taught By A Pro Art and Animation Instruction". taughtbyapro.com. Retrieved 2014-05-06.
- "Better Days Ahead". theanimatorlettersproject.com. 2012-07-13. Retrieved 2014-05-06.