||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (October 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Bemelmans at the 2016 Wimbledon Championships.
14 January 1988 |
|Height||1.83 m (6 ft 0 in)|
|Plays||Left-handed (two-handed backhand)|
|Highest ranking||No. 84 (28 September 2015)|
|Current ranking||No. 234 (28 September 2016)|
|Grand Slam Singles results|
|Australian Open||1R (2013, 2015)|
|French Open||1R (2015)|
|US Open||3R (2015)|
|Highest ranking||No. 128 (1 October 2012)|
|Current ranking||No. 204 (28 September 2016)|
|Davis Cup||F (2015)|
|Hopman Cup||F (2011)|
|Last updated on: 28 September 2016.|
Ruben Bemelmans (Dutch pronunciation: [rybən beːməlmɑns], born 14 January 1988) is a Belgian male professional tennis player. His career-high ATP rankings are world No. 84 in singles, achieved in September 2015, and world No. 128 in doubles, achieved in October 2012. As a qualifier, Bemelmans reached the quarterfinals of Vienna in 2013, defeating No. 4 seed Philipp Kohlschreiber en route.
Bemelmans competes mainly in the Challenger tour circuit. He won his first Futures event in Espelkamp, Germany in July 2007, and has a total of nine titles at this level. His best performance to date was in winning the Volkswagen Challenger event in Wolfsburg in March 2009, winning three matches in qualifying before going on to beat Stefano Galvani of Italy in the final. He won this tournament again in 2011.
In September 2010, Ruben played for Belgium in the Davis cup play-off tie against Australia. He was a late replacement for an injured Steve Darcis. He played Lleyton Hewitt with nothing to lose; but after a solid effort, he succumbed in a 6–7, 5–7, 6–2, 4–6 duel.
In January 2011, Bemelmans was invited to represent Belgium in the Hopman Cup alongside Justine Henin. They reached the final, beating Kazakhstan and Serbia along the route, where they were defeated by USA 2–1.
In September 2015, Bemelmans defeated Gilles Müller and Jack Sock (retired) to reach third round of the US Open where he lost against Switzerland's Stanislas Wawrinka in three sets. Bemelmans also played an active part in the Belgian Davis Cup team that reached the final that season, and played the second singles rubber where he was beaten by Andy Murray.
ATP career finals
Doubles: 1 (1–0)
|Winner||1.||30 July 2012||Farmers Classic, Los Angeles, United States||Hard||Xavier Malisse|| Jamie Delgado
|7–6(7–5), 4–6, [10–7]|
ITF and Challenger titles
|ATP Challenger Tour (5)|
|ITF Futures (9)|
|1.||15 July 2007||Espelkamp, Germany||Clay||Franz Stauder||6–2, 7–5|
|2.||24 November 2007||Ramat Hasharon, Israel||Hard||Niels Desein||6–3, 6–3|
|3.||9 March 2008||Bassersdorf, Switzerland||Carpet||Ladislav Chramosta||3–6, 6–3, 6–2|
|4.||31 May 2008||Cesena, Italy||Clay||Carlos Avellán||6–4, 3–6, 6–0|
|5.||15 February 2009||Bressuire, France||Hard||Vincent Millot||6–4, 6–3|
|6.||1 March 2009||Wolfsburg, Germany||Carpet||Stefano Galvani||7–5(7–5), 3–6, 6–3|
|7.||27 September 2009||Plaisir, France||Hard||Pierrick Ysern||6–7(5–7), 6–1, 7–5|
|8.||8 March 2010||Lille, France||Hard||Niels Desein||6–4, 6–2|
|9.||15 March 2010||Poitiers, France||Hard||Charles-Antoine Brezac||6–4, 4–6, 6–4|
|10.||28 June 2010||Palma del Rio, Spain||Hard||Niels Desein||4–6, 6–4, 7–6(7–1)|
|11.||27 February 2011||Wolfsburg, Germany||Carpet||Dominik Meffert||6–7(7–10), 6–4, 6–4|
|12.||27 October 2014||Eckental, Germany||Carpet||Tim Pütz||7–6(7–3), 6–3|
|13.||5 April 2015||Le Gosier, Guadeloupe||Hard||Édouard Roger-Vasselin||7–6(8–6), 6–3|
|14.||22 January 2017||Koblenz, Germany||Hard||Nils Langer||6–4, 3–6, 7–6(7–0)|
- "Ruben Bemelmans/overview". Association of Tennis Professionals.
- "Ruben Bemelmans schrijft Challengertoernooi van Wolfsburg op zijn naam" [Ruben Bemelmans wins Wolfsburg challenger]. nieuwsblad.be (in Dutch). Mediahuis n.v. 27 February 2011. Archived from the original on 27 November 2015.
- "Ruben Bemelmans meteen out op eerste ATP-toernooi" [First round loss for Bemelmans in first appearance in an ATP tournament]. hbvl.be (in Dutch). Mediahuis n.v. 3 February 2010. Archived from the original on 27 November 2015.
- Forde-White, Emily (14 September 2010). "Rochus levels tie down under". Daviscup.com. International Tennis Federation. Archived from the original on 23 October 2012.
- "USA Wins Sixth Hyundai Hopman Cuplwork=hopmancup.com". International Tennis Federation. 8 January 2011. Archived from the original on 10 February 2011.
- Clary, Brian (5 September 2015). "Wawrinka keeps rolling, takes out Bemelmans in three.". US Open.org. United States Tennis Association. Archived from the original on 13 September 2015.