Ruben Samuel Fleischer
October 31, 1974
Washington, D.C., U.S.
|Occupation||Film director, film producer, television producer, music video director, commercial director|
Ruben Samuel Fleischer (born October 31, 1974) is an American film director, film producer, television producer, music video director, and commercial director who lives in Los Angeles. He is best known as the director of Zombieland (2009), his first feature film, and its sequel Zombieland: Double Tap (2019). He has also directed the films 30 Minutes or Less, Gangster Squad, and 2018's Venom featuring the Marvel Comics character of the same name. Prior to features, Fleischer was a director of television commercials and music videos, working for such brands as Cisco, Eurostar, ESPN, and Burger King, as well as such artists as M.I.A., Electric Six, DJ Format, and Gold Chains.
Life and career
Ruben Fleischer was born and raised in Washington, D.C, the son of Karen Lee (née Samuel) and David Elliot Fleischer, who is a physician at the Mayo Clinic in Arizona and Professor of Medicine. His brother, Lucas, works in new media. His father was born to a Jewish family, while his mother converted to Judaism. Fleischer was raised in Reform Judaism.
After graduating with a major in history from Wesleyan University, Fleischer moved to San Francisco, unsure of what he wanted to do with his life. He found himself working as a freelance HTML programmer in San Francisco. Taking the advice of close friend Mike White (also a Wesleyan graduate), Fleischer worked as a PA in the writers' office of Dawson's Creek. He eventually turned to directing and worked his way through the industry, tackling music videos and television commercials before landing his first feature film, Zombieland, in 2009. His second feature film, 30 Minutes or Less, opened in theaters on August 12, 2011.
In 2019, Fleischer directed Zombieland: Double Tap, the sequel to his 2009 film Zombieland, reuniting all four original leads. In February 2020, Fleischer was hired to direct Uncharted, based on the video game series of the same name.
|2011||30 Minutes or Less||Yes||No|
|2019||Zombieland: Double Tap||Yes||Yes|
- Two Night Stand (2014)
- Unicorn Store (2017)
- The Mule (2018) – executive producer
- Bad Trip (2021)
- Venom: Let There Be Carnage (2021) – executive producer
|2003–2006||Jimmy Kimmel Live!||Yes||No||3 episodes|
|2006–2007||Rob & Big||No||Yes|
|2008||Between Two Ferns with Zach Galifianakis||Yes||No||2 episodes|
|2010||Funny or Die Presents||Yes||No||4 episodes|
|2015||Marry Me||Yes||No||Episode "F Me"|
|2015–2021||Superstore||Yes||Yes||Directed 7 episodes|
|2016||American Housewife||Yes||Yes||Directed episode "Pilot"|
|2017||Santa Clarita Diet||Yes||Yes||Directed 2 episodes|
|2017–present||The Bold Type||No||Yes|
|2019–2020||Stumptown||Yes||Yes||Directed 1 episode|
|TBA||The White House Plumbers||No||Yes|
|2001||The Girls Guitar Club||Yes||Yes|
|2005||Gumball 3000: 6 Days in May||Yes||Yes|
|"Fix Up, Look Sharp"||Dizzee Rascal|
|"Stand Up Tall"|
|"Pro Nails"||Kid Sister|
|"I Came From SF"||Gold Chains|
|"Dance Commander"||Electric Six|
|"Vicious Battle Raps"||DJ Format|
|"We Know Something You Don't"|
|"Ladies Man"||Boost Mobile|
|"Up Late with The King"||Burger King|
Fleischer has cast certain actors in more than one of his films:
|30 Minutes or Less
|Zombieland: Double Tap
- "Jennings, Hughes, Wilkes, Webber, Aldridge U.K.:Information about Ruben Samuel Fleischer". Familytreemaker.genealogy.com. 1996-08-15. Retrieved 2013-01-07.
- "Emma Stone officiates a wedding – just like these other celebrities". UsMagazine.com. 2012-11-14. Retrieved 2013-01-11.
- Bloomer, Jeffrey (October 2, 2009). "Getting to Know... Zombieland director Ruben Fleischer". Paste Magazine.
- Hornaday, Ann (October 17, 2009). "With 'Zombieland,' D.C. Native Ruben Fleischer Turns His Directorial Debut Into a Hit". Washingtonpost.com. Retrieved 2013-01-07.
- "Gangster Squad's Comedy Nerd – The Arty Semite – Forward.com". Blogs.forward.com. Retrieved 2013-01-11.
- Ann Hornaday (October 17, 2009). "Don of the Dead". The Washington Post.
- Ruben Fleischer’s ‘Gangster Squad’, New York Times. By Michael Cieply. Published: January 4, 2013. Retrieved February 6, 2013.
- Steve Weintraub (July 9, 2009). "Director Ruben Fleischer Interview ZOMBIELAND". Collider Magazine.
- Germain Lussier (April 22, 2011). "'30 Minutes Or Less' Teaser Posters". Slashfilm.
- Sneider, Jeff; Kroll, Justin (July 26, 2011). "Emma Stone rounds up 'Gangster Squad'". Variety. Reed Business Information. Archived from the original on January 8, 2012. Retrieved July 27, 2011.
- Kroll, Justin (October 10, 2016). "Tom Hardy to Star in 'Spider-Man' Movie 'Venom,' Ruben Fleischer to Direct". Variety.
- Michael Kennedy (March 23, 2017). "Zombieland 2 Writers Reveal Script is Completed". Screen Rant. Retrieved March 23, 2017.
- Kroll, Justin (March 2, 2020). "Antonio Banderas Joins Tom Holland in 'Uncharted' Movie (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Archived from the original on March 2, 2020. Retrieved March 2, 2020.
- McNary, Dave (January 29, 2019). "Eric Andre-Lil Rel Howery's Prank Comedy 'Bad Trip' to Release in October". Variety. Retrieved May 23, 2019.