Fleischer at the Zombieland premiere at Fantastic Fest in September 2009
Ruben Samuel Fleischer|
October 31, 1974
Washington, D.C., United States
|Occupation||Film director, film producer, television producer, music video director, commercial director|
|Spouse(s)||Holly Shakoor (m. 2012)|
Ruben Samuel Fleischer (born October 31, 1974) is an American film director, film producer, television producer, music video director, and commercial director who lives in Los Angeles. He is best known as the director of Zombieland, his first feature film. He followed it by making the films 30 Minutes or Less and Gangster Squad. He will next direct the 2018 film version of Venom which is based on the Marvel Comics character. Prior to directing feature films, Fleischer was a director of television commercials and music videos, working for such brands as Cisco, Eurostar, ESPN, and Burger King, as well as such artists as M.I.A., Electric Six, DJ Format, and Gold Chains.
Life and career
Ruben Fleischer was born and raised in Washington, D.C, the son of Karen Lee (née Samuel) and David Elliot Fleischer, who is a medical school professor at Georgetown, as well as a physician. His brother, Lucas, works in new media. His father was born to a Jewish family, while his mother converted to Judaism. Fleischer was raised in Reform Judaism.
After graduating with a major in history from Wesleyan University, Fleischer moved to San Francisco, unsure of what he wanted to do with his life. He found himself working as a freelance HTML programmer in San Francisco. Taking the advice of close friend Mike White (also a Wesleyan graduate), Fleischer worked as a PA in the writers' office of Dawson's Creek. He eventually turned to directing and worked his way through the industry, tackling music videos and television commercials before landing his first feature film, Zombieland, in 2009. His second feature film, 30 Minutes or Less, opened in theaters on August 12, 2011.
Fleischer directed Gangster Squad, a 2013 crime drama film, based on the special tactical group created by the LAPD to combat the Los Angeles crime family. Flming began in September, 2011, and the cast included Ryan Gosling, Sean Penn, Emma Stone, Josh Brolin, Giovanni Ribisi, Anthony Mackie, Michael Peña, and Holt McCallany.
On May 19, 2017, it was announced that Fleischer will direct Venom which will be based on the Marvel Comics character and it will star Tom Hardy in the title role. The film is set for release on October 5, 2018. Also in May 2017, it was announced that Fleischer will direct the sequel to his 2009 film Zombieland.
|2011||30 Minutes or Less||Yes||No|
|2014||Two Night Stand||No||Yes|
|2003–2006||Jimmy Kimmel Live!||Directed 3 episodes|
|2006–2007||Rob & Big||Executive producer|
|2008||Between Two Ferns with Zach Galifianakis||Directed 2 episodes|
|2009–2015||Fantasy Factory||Executive producer|
|2010||Funny or Die Presents||Directed 4 episodes|
|2015||Marry Me||Episode: "F Me"|
|2015–2018||Superstore||Directed 4 episodes|
|2016||American Housewife||Directed episode: "Pilot"|
|2017||Santa Clarita Diet||Directed 2 episodes|
|2001||The Girls Guitar Club||Director, producer|
|2005||Gumball 3000: 6 Days in May||Director, producer|
- M.I.A. – "Galang"
- Kid Sister – "Pro Nails"
- Gold Chains – "I Came From SF", "Cali Nights", "The Game"
- Electric Six – "Dance Commander"
- DJ Format – "Vicious Battle Raps", "We Know Something You Don't"
- Pigeon Funk - "Mocito"
- Boost Mobile – "Ladies Man", "Geek"
- McDonald's – "Good Inside"
- Cisco – "Revision 43A", "Jack 245"
- Burger King – "Up Late with The King"
- Eurostar – "Circles"
- ESPN – "Quiet", "Mascots"
- Courir – "The Drop"
- "Jennings, Hughes, Wilkes, Webber, Aldridge U.K.:Information about Ruben Samuel Fleischer". Familytreemaker.genealogy.com. 1996-08-15. Retrieved 2013-01-07.
- "Emma Stone officiates a wedding – just like these other celebrities". UsMagazine.com. 2012-11-14. Retrieved 2013-01-11.
- Bloomer, Jeffrey (October 2, 2009). "Getting to Know... Zombieland director Ruben Fleischer". Paste Magazine.
- Hornaday, Ann (October 17, 2009). "With 'Zombieland,' D.C. Native Ruben Fleischer Turns His Directorial Debut Into a Hit". Washingtonpost.com. Retrieved 2013-01-07.
- January 10, 2013, 5:00am. "Gangster Squad's Comedy Nerd – The Arty Semite – Forward.com". Blogs.forward.com. Retrieved 2013-01-11.
- Ann Hornaday (October 17, 2009). "Don of the Dead". The Washington Post.
- Ruben Fleischer’s ‘Gangster Squad’, New York Times. By Michael Cieply. Published: January 4, 2013. Retrieved February 6, 2013.
- Steve Weintraub (July 9, 2009). "Director Ruben Fleischer Interview ZOMBIELAND". Collider Magazine.
- Germain Lussier (April 22, 2011). "'30 Minutes Or Less' Teaser Posters". Slashfilm.
- Sneider, Jeff; Kroll, Justin (July 26, 2011). "Emma Stone rounds up 'Gangster Squad'". Variety. Reed Business Information. Archived from the original on January 8, 2012. Retrieved July 27, 2011.
- Kit, Borys (June 7, 2011). "Michael Pena Joins Sean Penn, Ryan Gosling, Josh Brolin in 'Gangster Squad'". The Hollywood Reporter. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved July 27, 2011.
- "Giovanni Ribisi Joins Warner Bros' 'The Gangster Squad'". Deadline Hollywood. Mail.com Media. July 6, 2011. Retrieved July 27, 2011.
- "Gangster Squad". Allrovi. Retrieved July 27, 2011.
- "Holt McCallany Joins 'Gangster Squad'". Deadline Hollywood. Mail.com Media. July 14, 2011. Retrieved July 27, 2011.
- Kroll, Justin (October 10, 2016). "Tom Hardy to Star in 'Spider-Man' Movie 'Venom,' Ruben Fleischer to Direct". Variety.
- Michael Kennedy (March 23, 2017). "Zombieland 2 Writers Reveal Script is Completed". Screen Rant. Retrieved March 23, 2017.