Rubjerg Knude Lighthouse
The lighthouse in 2004
|Location||Rubjerg, Hjørring Municipality, Denmark|
|Year first constructed||1900|
|Tower shape||square tower with balcony and lantern|
|Markings / pattern||white tower, red lantern|
|Tower height||23 metres (75 ft)|
|Focal height||90 metre|
|Managing agent||Vendsyssel Historiske Museum|
Rubjerg Knude Lighthouse (Danish: Rubjerg Knude Fyr) is on the coast of the North Sea in Rubjerg, in the Jutland municipality of Hjørring in northern Denmark. It was first lit on 27 December 1900. Construction of the lighthouse began in 1899.
Description and history
Shifting sands and coastal erosion are a serious problem in the area. The coast is eroded on average 1.5 metres (4.9 ft) a year, which can be seen most clearly at the nearby Mårup Church. Built around 1250, the church was originally 1 kilometre (0.62 mi) from the coast, but was dismantled in 2008 to prevent its falling into the sea.
The lighthouse ceased operating on 1 August 1968. For a number of years, the buildings were used as a museum and coffee shop, but continually shifting sands caused them to be abandoned in 2002. By 2009, the small buildings were severely damaged by the pressure of the sand and were later removed. It is expected that the tower will fall into the sea by 2023.
- Rowlett, Russ. "Lighthouses of Denmark: West Coast". The Lighthouse Directory. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Retrieved 16 January 2016.
- Rubjerg Knude området, Vendsyssel Historiske Museum, Miljøministeriet Naturstyrelsen Vendsyssel ‹See Tfd›(in Danish)
- Description of lighthouse Archived 2 March 2005 at the Wayback Machine Danish Museums Online. Retrieved 6 September 2011
- Mårup Church's history Archived 31 March 2012 at the Wayback Machine Vendsyssel Historiske Museum, Hjørring, Denmark. Retrieved 8 September 2011
- Description of lighthouse Archived 9 January 2006 at the Wayback Machine Lighthouse Duo. Retrieved 6 September 2011
- Graham, Adam H. (31 December 2012). "The world's most mysterious buildings". cnn.com. CNN. Archived from the original on 1 January 2013. Retrieved 31 December 2012.
- Rubjerg Knude Vendsyssel Historiske Museum, Hjørring, Denmark
- Rubjerg Knude Lighthouse in Lighthouse Digest's Lighthouse Explorer Database
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rubjerg Knude lighthouse.|
|This article about a Danish building or structure is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This European lighthouse-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|