|Single by Dion|
|Dion singles chronology|
|Single by Billy "Crash" Craddock|
|from the album Rub It In|
|B-side||"Walk When Love Walks"|
|Writer(s)||Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller|
|Billy "Crash" Craddock singles chronology|
"Ruby Baby" is a song written by Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller. It was originally recorded by The Drifters. Their version was released on a single by Atlantic Records as catalog number 45 1089 in 1956.
Columbia Records released a remake by Dion on a single recorded in 1962, as catalogue number 4 42662. It reached #2 Billboard Hot 100, giving him a major worldwide success and was the most famous version of this song.
The song has been recorded by several artists, including:
- The Beach Boys. Their version was released on the band's 1993 box set Good Vibrations: Thirty Years of The Beach Boys as an outtake from the 1965 Beach Boys' Party! album. There was also a version recorded for their 1976 "comeback" album, 15 Big Ones which can be found on various bootlegs of that era.
- Korean singer BoA uses elements of this song in her single, "Rock with You".
- Canadian band Wednesday scored a hit in Canada with a rock version in 1976.
- BWB performed an instrumental cover of the song on their album "Groovin'".
- Billy "Crash" Craddock who had a number one country hit. This version was included the album Rub It In in 1974. It was also released on his 2009 live album Live -N- Kickin'.
- Bobby Darin. Released on the LP 15 Yellow Roses & 11 Other Hits by Capitol Records as catalog number ST 1942 in 1963.
- Donald Fagen, of Steely Dan, also recorded a version on his 1982 solo album, The Nightfly.
- Björk Guðmundsdóttir & Tríó Guðmundar Ingólfssonar
- Ronnie Hawkins. Recorded on April 13, 1959. It was released on the LP Ronnie Hawkins by Roulette Records as catalog number SR 25078 in August 1959.
- A young Miguel Ríos recorded a version on his 5th EP (1963).
- Donald "Buck Dharma" Roeser covered a version of the song called "Rudy" available only on his Archive set of CDs.
- Del Shannon. Released on the LP Handy Man by Amy Records as catalog numbers 8003-M (mono) and 8003-S (stereo) in 1964.
- Tony Sheridan & The Beat Brothers.
- Bobby Rydell - The top hits of 1963 sung by Bobby Rydell.
- Mitch Ryder - "Sings the Hits" 1968
In México Oscar Madrigal in 1962
Song in Popular Culture
- The song was included in the musical revue "Smokey Joe's Cafe".
- Second Hand Songs - Medium: Ruby Baby - The Drifters (1956)
- Second Hand Songs - Medium: Ruby Baby - Dion (1963)
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). The Billboard Book Of Top 40 Country Hits: 1944-2006, Second edition. Record Research. p. 91.
- Second Hand Songs - Medium: 15 Yellow Roses & 11 Other Hits - Bobby Darin (1963)
- Second Hand Songs - Medium: Ronnie Hawkins - Ronnie Hawkins (1959)
- DELSHANNON.COM | Album Discography
- nl:John Woolley and Just Born
"The Door" by George Jones
|Billboard Hot Country Singles
number one single
January 11, 1975
"Kentucky Gambler" by Merle Haggard