|Member of the Bundestag|
June 5, 1954 |
Birkesdorf, Düren, Germany
|Political party||Christian Democratic Union (CDU)|
|Residence||Burtscheid, Aachen, Germany|
|Alma mater||RWTH Aachen University|
Education and early career
Born in Düren, Henke completed his Abitur at the Stiftisches Gymnasium in Düren before studying medicine at RWTH Aachen University between 1972 and 1979. The following year, he became assistant physician at St Antonius Hospital in Eschweiler, rising to become a consultant in hematology and oncology in September 1988. He has been on the board of directors of the physicians' trade union Marburger Bund since 1989, becoming chair in 2007. He is a German delegate to the World Medical Association.
Henke joined the Christian Democratic Union (CDU) in 1992 and was elected to the Landtag of North Rhine-Westphalia (state parliament) in 1995. He remained a member of the parliament until 2009, having been twice re-elected, holding positions on the Ausschuss für Arbeit, Gesundheit und Soziales (Work, Health and Social committee) and the Ausschuss für Innovation, Wissenschaft, Forschung und Technologie (Innovation, Science, Research and Technology committee). Between 2005 and 2009, he was deputy leader of the CDU parliamentary group.
Henke was directly elected to the Bundestag in the Aachen I constituency in 2009, receiving more votes than incumbent federal health minister Ulla Schmidt in the process. He has been a member of the Health Committee since his election, becoming deputy chairman of the committee in 2014. Henke was re-elected in 2013.
In addition to his parliamentary work, Henke holds various positions that have contributed to making him one of the highest-earning members of the Bundestag, including the following:
- Allianz Private Krankenversicherungs-Aktiengesellschaft (APKV), Deputy Chairman of the Medical Advisory Board
- Deutsche Apotheker- und Ärztebank, Member of the Advisory Board
- Deutsche Ärzteversicherung, Member of the Advisory Board
- Federal Association for Children with Heart Diseases (BVHK), Member of the Scientific Advisory Board
- German-Israeli Association (DIG), Member
- "Im Portrait – Rudolf Henke". Retrieved 8 June 2014.
- "Landtag NRW: Detailansicht des Abgeordneten Rudolf Henke". Retrieved 10 June 2014.
- "Deutscher Bundestag - Rudolf Henke, CDU". Retrieved 10 June 2014.
- "Arzt und Gesundheitspolitiker: Rudolf Henke". Retrieved 10 June 2014.
- "Die beiden Großen sind die Gewinner". Retrieved 10 June 2014.
- Gerald Eimer (August 6, 2015),  Aachener Zeitung.
- Advisory Board Deutsche Ärzteversicherung.
- Scientific Advisory Board Federal Association for Children with Heart Diseases (BVHK).