Rudolf I, Margrave of Baden-Baden
This article does not cite any sources. (January 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Rudolf I, Margrave of Baden|
|Died||19 November 1288|
|Noble family||House of Zähringen|
|Spouse(s)||Kunigunde of Eberstein|
|Father||Herman V, Margrave of Baden-Baden|
|Mother||Countess Palatine Irmengard of the Rhine|
He was the son of Herman V and Irmengard, Countess Palatine of the Rhine. She was the daughter of Henry V, Count Palatine of the Rhine. Rudolf inherited Baden, together with his brother Herman VI, until Herman VI married into the Austrian ducal family. Rudolf I then became the sole ruler of Baden-Baden.
Rudolf I married Kunigunde of Eberstein in 1257. The Eberstein family were in a position to raise money for Rudolf, and they bequeathed half their castle to the margrave. In 1283, Otto II of Eberstein sold the other half of Old Eberstein Castle to Rudolf I. In the 14th century, the castle was the place of residence for the Margraves of Baden. In 1250 Rudolf I began the construction of Hohenbaden Castle.
On August 23, 1258, King Richard of Cornwall gave the city of Steinbach its charter. Rudolf I had asked the king to do this. The Lords of Weissenstein bought their castle Liebeneck and the village of Würm from the margrave. Rudolf I quarreled with the Counts of Württemberg and the Bishops of Straßburg over the tolls on the Rhine. The quarrel with Württemberg ended in later years because of the marriage of one of Rudolf's sons into the Württemberg dynasty.
- Herman VII (1266 – July 12, 1291)
- Rudolf II (died February 14, 1295)
- Hesso (1268 – February 14, 1295)
- Rudolf III (died February 2, 1332)
- Kunigunde (1265 – July 22, 1310), married December 20, 1291 Count Frederick VI of Zollern
- Adelheid (died August 18, 1295); Abbess of Lichtenthal Abbey
- Kunigunde (died 1310/1315); married on March 27, 1293 to Count Rudolf II of Wertheim
- Irmengard (1270 – February 8, 1320); married on June 21, 1296 to Count Eberhard I of Württemberg
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rudolf I of Baden.|
Rudolf I, Margrave of Baden-BadenBorn: 1230 Died: 19 November 1288
| Margrave of Baden
with Frederick I,