|Judge of the United States Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court|
May 19, 2016
|Preceded by||Thomas F. Hogan|
|Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Columbia|
March 23, 2012
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by||Ricardo M. Urbina|
1962 (age 54–55)
New York City, New York
|Education||Florida State University B.S.
University of Pennsylvania School of Law J.D.
Rudolph Contreras (born 1962) is a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Columbia.
Early life and education
Contreras was born in 1962 in Staten Island, New York to Cuban immigrant parents and raised in Miami, Florida. He received a Bachelor of Science from Florida State University in 1984 and a Juris Doctor from University of Pennsylvania School of Law in 1991.
Federal judicial service
On July 28, 2011, President Barack Obama nominated Contreras to fill a vacancy on the United States District Court for the District of Columbia. He would replace Judge Ricardo M. Urbina who took senior status in 2011. On October 4, 2011, the Senate Judiciary Committee held a hearing on his nomination and on October 3, 2011, reported his nomination to the floor of the Senate. On March 22, 2012, the Senate confirmed Contreras in a voice vote. He received his commission on March 23, 2012.
In April 2016 Chief Justice John Roberts appointed Contreras to the United States Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court for a term starting May 19, 2016.
- Senate Judicial Questionnaire
- Tillman, Zoe (July 29, 2011). "Former Colleagues Weigh In on Rudolph Contreras Nomination". The Blog of Legal Times. Retrieved August 16, 2011.
- The White House: Office of the Press Secretary (July 28, 2011). "President Obama Nominates Two to the United States District Court". whitehouse.gov. Retrieved August 16, 2011.
- fas.org, THE FOREIGN INTELLIGENCE SURVEILLANCE COURT: 2016 Membership
- DeBonis, Mike (18 November 2016). "Judge dashes Merrick Garland's final, faint hope for a Supreme Court seat". The Washington Post. Retrieved 23 November 2016.
- Rudolph Contreras at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
Ricardo M. Urbina
|Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Columbia
Thomas F. Hogan
|Judge of the United States Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court