|Member of the California State Assembly
from the 32nd district
December 3, 2012
|Preceded by||David Valadao (redistricted)|
|Born||March 12, 1977 (age 40)
|Alma mater||University of California, Los Angeles|
Rudy Salas is an American politician currently serving in the California State Assembly. He is a Democrat representing the 32nd Assembly District, which encompasses Kings County and parts of Kern County.
Salas is a member of the California Latino Legislative Caucus. Prior to being elected to the Assembly in 2012, he was a Bakersfield City Councilmember.
When incumbent assemblyman David Valadao announced that he would not run for reelection, instead seeking a congressional bid for the 21st district, the seat was left vacant. In the June 5 primary, Salas ran unopposed for the Democratic nomination and won the overall primary with 41.4% of the vote, or 13,053 votes, ahead of the three Republican candidates. He faced off against the primary runner-up, the Republican former mayor of Delano Pedro Rios, in the November 6 general election. Salas came in first by a smaller margin than before, with 38,759 total votes (52.9%) to Rios's 34,476 (47.1%). He was sworn in on December 3, 2012.
Salas is running for reelection in November 2014. His Republican challengers were Delano Union School District trustee Romeo Agbalog and Pedro A. Rios - the nominee he defeated in 2012. In the June 3 primary, Salas came in first with 44% of the vote, while Rios came in second and Agbalog came in third. In their rematch in the November 4 general election, Salas won once again with 54.8% to Rios’s 45.2%.
California's 32nd State Assembly district, 2012 (Primary):
- Rudy Salas - 13,053 (41.4%)
- Pedro A. Rios - 7,550 (23.9%)
- Jon McQuiston - 6,530 (20.7%)
- David Thomas - 4,420 (14.0%)
- Rudy Salas - 38,759 (52.9%)
- Pedro A. Rios - 34,476 (47.1%)
California's 32nd State Assembly district, 2014 (Primary):
- Rudy Salas (incumbent) - 11,577 (43.9%)
- Pedro A. Rios - 9,183 (34.8%)
- Romeo Agbalog - 5,628 (21.3%)
- Rudy Salas (incumbent) - 26,721 (54.8%)
- Pedro A. Rios - 22,031 (45.2%)
- "California Elections: Assembly District 32".
- Californian, The Bakersfield. "404 Error".