|Born||September 12, 1954 |
|Alma mater||University of Basel|
|Institutions||ETH Zurich, Institute for Systems Biology|
|Thesis||Structure-function relationships of hybridoma-derived monoclonal antibodies against streptococcal A group polysaccharide. (1983)|
|Doctoral advisor||Dietmar G. Braun|
|Other academic advisors||Leroy Hood|
Rudolf Aebersold (better known as Ruedi Aebersold born September 12, 1954 ) is a Swiss biologist, regarded as a pioneer in the fields of proteomics and systems biology. He has primarily researched techniques for measuring proteins in complex samples, in many cases via mass spectrometry. Ruedi Aebersold is a professor of Systems biology at the Institute of Molecular Systems Biology (IMSB) in ETH Zurich. He was one of the founders of the Institute for Systems Biology in Seattle, Washington, where he previously had a research group.
Ruedi Aebersold is known for the development and application of targeted proteomics techniques in the field of biomedical research, in order to understand the function, interaction and localization of each protein in the cell and its changes in disease states. To this end, Ruedi Abersold has made significant contributions in the development and application of targeted proteomics methods, including selected reaction monitoring  and data-independent acquisition. Ruedi Aebersold is also recognized for its contributions in the development of standard formats and open source software for the analysis and storage of mass spectrometry and proteomics data, and he is one of the inventors of the Isotope-Coded Affinity Tag (ICAT) technique for quantitative proteomics, a technique that measures the relative quantities of proteins between two sample by using tags containing stable isotopes of different masses.
Honors and awards
- HUPO Award (2005) 
- Buchner Medal (2006) 
- In recognition of his contribution to the field of protein sciences and proteomics the Association of Biomolecular Resource Facilities (ABRF) selected him for the ABRF 2008 Award.
- Herbert A. Sober Lectureship 2010 
- Otto Naegeli Prize 2010 
- Thomson Medal Award 2012 
- ranked #1 on the 2015 list of "most influential people in the analytical sciences" (by the Analytical Scientist) 
- Bijvoet Medal of the Bijvoet Center for Biomolecular Research of Utrecht University (2018) 
- "Curriculum Vitae – Ruedi Aebersold" (PDF). Retrieved 2 December 2012.
- "ETH - IMSB Prof. Ruedi Aebersold". Retrieved 2011-07-26.
- "Institute for Systems Biology: Aebersold Group". Archived from the original on 2011-07-20. Retrieved 2011-07-26. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Aebersold R, Mann M (March 2003). "Mass spectrometry-based proteomics". Nature. 422 (6928): 198–207. doi:10.1038/nature01511. PMID 12634793.
- Aebersold R, Mann M (September 2016). "Mass-spectrometric exploration of proteome structure and function". Nature. 537 (7620): 347–55. doi:10.1038/nature19949. PMID 27629641.
- Bensimon A, Heck AJ, Aebersold R (2012). "Mass spectrometry-based proteomics and network biology". Annual Review of Biochemistry. 81: 379–405. doi:10.1146/annurev-biochem-072909-100424. PMID 22439968.
- Picotti P, Bodenmiller B, Mueller LN, Domon B, Aebersold R (August 2009). "Full dynamic range proteome analysis of S. cerevisiae by targeted proteomics". Cell. 138 (4): 795–806. doi:10.1016/j.cell.2009.05.051. PMC 2825542. PMID 19664813.
- Picotti P, Rinner O, Stallmach R, Dautel F, Farrah T, Domon B, Wenschuh H, Aebersold R (January 2010). "High-throughput generation of selected reaction-monitoring assays for proteins and proteomes". Nature Methods. 7 (1): 43–6. doi:10.1038/nmeth.1408. PMID 19966807.
- Picotti P, Bodenmiller B, Aebersold R (January 2013). "Proteomics meets the scientific method". Nature Methods. 10 (1): 24–7. doi:10.1038/nmeth.2291. PMID 23269373.
- Gillet LC, Navarro P, Tate S, Röst H, Selevsek N, Reiter L, Bonner R, Aebersold R (June 2012). "Targeted data extraction of the MS/MS spectra generated by data-independent acquisition: a new concept for consistent and accurate proteome analysis". Molecular & Cellular Proteomics. 11 (6): O111.016717. doi:10.1074/mcp.O111.016717. PMC 3433915. PMID 22261725.
- Schubert OT, Gillet LC, Collins BC, Navarro P, Rosenberger G, Wolski WE, Lam H, Amodei D, Mallick P, MacLean B, Aebersold R (March 2015). "Building high-quality assay libraries for targeted analysis of SWATH MS data". Nature Protocols. 10 (3): 426–41. doi:10.1038/nprot.2015.015. PMID 25675208.
- Pedrioli PG, Eng JK, Hubley R, Vogelzang M, Deutsch EW, Raught B, Pratt B, Nilsson E, Angeletti RH, Apweiler R, Cheung K, Costello CE, Hermjakob H, Huang S, Julian RK, Kapp E, McComb ME, Oliver SG, Omenn G, Paton NW, Simpson R, Smith R, Taylor CF, Zhu W, Aebersold R (November 2004). "A common open representation of mass spectrometry data and its application to proteomics research". Nature Biotechnology. 22 (11): 1459–66. doi:10.1038/nbt1031. PMID 15529173.
- Yan W, Lee H, Deutsch EW, Lazaro CA, Tang W, Chen E, Fausto N, Katze MG, Aebersold R (October 2004). "A dataset of human liver proteins identified by protein profiling via isotope-coded affinity tag (ICAT) and tandem mass spectrometry". Molecular & Cellular Proteomics. 3 (10): 1039–41. doi:10.1074/mcp.D400001-MCP200. PMID 15269248.
- Gygi SP, Rist B, Gerber SA, Turecek F, Gelb MH, Aebersold R (October 1999). "Quantitative analysis of complex protein mixtures using isotope-coded affinity tags". Nature Biotechnology. 17 (10): 994–9. doi:10.1038/13690. PMID 10504701.
- "ProteoMediX AG - Advisors - Zürich, Switzerland". Retrieved 2 December 2012.
- "Our Team | Biognosys AG". Retrieved 2 December 2012.
- "A major honour". Retrieved 26 December 2017.
- "Pionier der Eiweissforschung geehrt". Retrieved 2 December 2012.
- "The 2014 Thomson Medal Award IMSC 2014". Retrieved 8 April 2014.
- "Powerlist - The Analytical Scientist". Retrieved 4 November 2015.
- "Bijvoet Medal". Bijvoet Center for Biomolecular Research. Retrieved 2018-04-24.