|Born||September 12, 1954 
|Institutions||ETH Zurich, Institute for Systems Biology|
|Alma mater||University of Basel|
|Thesis||Structure-function relationships of hybridoma-derived monoclonal antibodies against streptococcal A group polysaccharide. (1983)|
|Doctoral advisor||Dietmar G. Braun|
|Other academic advisors||Leroy Hood|
Rudolf Aebersold (better known as Ruedi Aebersold born September 12, 1954 ) is a Swiss biologist, regarded as a pioneer in the fields of proteomics and systems biology. He has primarily researched techniques for measuring proteins in complex samples, in many cases via mass spectrometry. He is probably best known as one of the inventors of the Isotope-Coded Affinity Tag (ICAT) technique for proteomics, a technique for measuring the relative quantities of proteins in one sample relative to another sample by using tags containing stable isotopes of different masses.
Ruedi Aebersold is Professor of Systems biology at the Institute of Molecular Systems Biology (IMSB) in ETH Zurich. He was one of the founders of the Institute for Systems Biology in Seattle, Washington, and previously had a lab group at this institution.
Honors and Awards
- HUPO Award (2005) 
- Buchner Medal (2006) 
- In recognition of his contribution to the field of protein sciences and proteomics the Association of Biomolecular Resource Facilities (ABRF) selected him for the ABRF 2008 Award.
- Herbert A. Sober Lectureship 2010 
- Otto Naegeli Prize 2010 
- Thomson Medal Award 2012 
- ranked #1 on the 2015 list of "most influential people in the analytical sciences" (by the Analytical Scientist) 
- "Curriculum Vitae – Ruedi Aebersold" (PDF). Retrieved 2 December 2012.
- Gygi, S. P.; Rist, B.; Gerber, S. A.; Turecek, F.; Gelb, M. H.; Aebersold, R. (1999). "Quantitative analysis of complex protein mixtures using isotope-coded affinity tags". Nature Biotechnology. 17 (10): 994–999. doi:10.1038/13690. PMID 10504701.
- Aebersold, R.; Mann, M. (2003). "Mass spectrometry-based proteomics". Nature. 422 (6928): 198–207. doi:10.1038/nature01511. PMID 12634793.
- Kroemer, G.; Lorenzo, S. A.; Zamzami, H. K.; Marzo, N.; Snow, I.; Brothers, B. E.; Mangion, G. M.; Jacotot, J.; Costantini, E.; Loeffler, P.; Larochette, M.; Goodlett, N.; Aebersold, D. R.; Siderovski, R.; Penninger, D. P.; Kroemer, J. M. (1999). "Molecular characterization of mitochondrial apoptosis-inducing factor". Nature. 397 (6718): 441–446. doi:10.1038/17135. PMID 9989411.
- Gygi, S. P.; Rochon, Y.; Franza, B. R.; Aebersold, R. (1999). "Correlation between protein and mRNA abundance in yeast". Molecular and Cellular Biology. 19 (3): 1720–1730. PMC . PMID 10022859.
- "Interview with Ruedi Aebersold". Retrieved 2011-07-26.
- "Institute for Systems Biology: Aebersold Group". Retrieved 2011-07-26.
- "ETH - IMSB Prof. Ruedi Aebersold". Retrieved 2011-07-26.
- "ProteoMediX AG - Advisors - Zürich, Switzerland". Retrieved 2 December 2012.
- "Our Team | Biognosys AG". Retrieved 2 December 2012.
- "http://www.imsb.ethz.ch/news/index". Retrieved 2 December 2012. External link in
- "Pionier der Eiweissforschung geehrt". Retrieved 2 December 2012.
- "The 2014 Thomson Medal Award IMSC 2014". Retrieved 8 April 2014.
- "Powerlist - The Analytical Scientist". Retrieved 4 November 2015.