A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (October 2020)
3.14 / 30 April 2021
|Operating system||Windows 7 and later|
|Available in||38 languages|
|License||GNU GPL 3+|
Rufus (The Reliable USB Formatting Utility, with Source) is a free and open-source portable application for Microsoft Windows that can be used to format and create bootable USB flash drives or Live USBs.
The first official release of Rufus, version 1.0.3 (earlier versions were internal/alpha only), was released on December 11, 2011, with originally only MS-DOS support. Version 1.0.4 introduced FreeDOS support and version 1.1.0 introduced ISO image support. Until 1.2.0, two separate versions were provided, with one for MS-DOS and one for FreeDOS. UEFI boot support was introduced with version 1.3.2, localization with 1.4.0 and Windows To Go with 2.0. The last version compatible with Windows XP and Vista is 2.18.
Rufus supports a variety of bootable .iso files, including various Linux distributions and Windows installation .iso files, as well as raw disk image files (including compressed ones). If needed, it will install a bootloader such as SYSLINUX or GRUB onto the flash drive to render it bootable. It also allows the installation of MS-DOS or FreeDOS onto a flash drive as well as the creation of Windows To Go bootable media. It supports formatting flash drives as FAT, FAT32, NTFS, exFAT, UDF or ReFS filesystems.
There must be no Internet connection on the PC when launching Rufus under Windows 7.
Rufus is capable of downloading ISO DVD images of installers of Windows 10 prior to current version in the download site of Microsoft. To do that, PC must have Internet connection prior to launching Rufus and Rufus needs to be run under Windows 8.1 at least.
- "Rufus source code". Retrieved 2016-07-17.
- "Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way". Retrieved 24 June 2018.
- "List of languages supported by Rufus". Retrieved 2017-05-17.
- "Rufus License". Retrieved 2016-07-09.
- "Rufus introduction post". Retrieved 2016-07-09.
- "HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool on Softpedia". Retrieved 2016-07-09.
- "Rufus Changelog". Retrieved 2016-07-09.
- "List of Rufus downloads". Retrieved 2016-07-09.
- Mackey, Tim (5 April 2016). XenServer Administration Handbook: Practical Recipes for Successful Deployments. O'Reilly Media, Inc. ISBN 9781491935392. Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- "Using Rufus To Create Windows To Go USB Drive". Retrieved 2016-07-09.
- Gupta, Vishal. "Rufus: Free Portable Utility to Write Bootable ISO or IMG Files to USB Drives". AskVG. Retrieved 29 June 2016.