Rugby League Players Association
|Full name||Rugby League Players Association|
Cameron Smith, General PresidentIan Prendergast, CEO
|Office location||Sydney Olympic Park, New South Wales|
The Rugby League Players Association (RLPA) is a representative organisation in Australia. It represents players contracted to play for a Club in the Australian Rugby League Commission, National Rugby League Competition, National Youth Competition, New South Wales Rugby League State Cup Competition, Queensland Rugby League State Cup Competition and Elite Women's competition..
Formerly the Rugby League Professionals Association, the company changed its name in 2009.
In 2009, David Garnsey took the reins as Chief Executive Officer through until 2015.
In 2017, Australian, Queensland and Melbourne Storm captain Cameron Smith was appointed General President of the RLPA, taking over from Clint Newton who continued with the organisation in the role of general manager of Player Relations.
RLPA board of directors
- Russell Adams (Chair)
- Cameron Smith (General President)
- Ian Prendergast (CEO and managing director)
- Deidre Anderson
- Adam Blair
- Jeremy Latimore
- James Maloney
- Tim Mannah
- Nimesh Shah
- Joseph Sponholz
- Eloni Vunakece
The Players' Champion
The Rugby League Players' Association's annual awards ceremony, The Players' Champion, recognises the best player in the National Rugby League as voted by their peers.
- 2017 James Tedesco
- 2016 Jason Taumalolo
- 2015 Johnathan Thurston
- 2014 Johnathan Thurston
- 2013 Johnathan Thurston
- 2012 Ben Barba
- 2011 Akuila Uate
- 2010 Darius Boyd
- 2009 Jarryd Hayne
- 2008 Braith Anasta & Petero Civoniceva
- 2007 Matt Bowen
- 2006 Ben Kennedy
- 2005 Johnathan Thurston
- 2004 Danny Buderus
Collective Bargaining Agreement
The new CBA deal captures a range of employment related clauses for a five-year period, beginning in 2018 through until 2022.
In a show of unity and solidarity behind the RLPA in the ongoing negotiations, NRL players wore branded caps throughout State of Origin press conferences and green tape in Round 21 of the 2017 season. RLPA CEO Ian Prendergast stated it "was no secret players had become increasingly frustrated" by negotiations. "They want to stand up, use their voice and demonstrate their solidarity across the weekend to get this deal over the line so we can deliver certainty in the industry."
- "RLPA History". RLPA. Retrieved 4 December 2017.
- "RLPA boss resigns after no confidence vote". Retrieved 4 December 2017.
- Proszenko, Adrian (1 December 2015). "New RLPA boss Ian Prendergast says he'll make union as strong as AFLPA". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 4 December 2017.
- "Cameron Smith". RLPA. Retrieved 4 December 2017.
- Callinan, Josh (13 September 2016). "Rugby League Players' Champions Awards | photos, live blog, poll". Newcastle Herald. Retrieved 6 December 2017.
- "NRL reaches $1 billion peace deal". Retrieved 4 December 2017.
- "Subscribe to the Daily Telegraph". The Daily Telegraph. Australia. Retrieved 6 December 2017.