Rugby League World
|First issue||May, 1976|
Rugby League World is a dedicated rugby league magazine published monthly in the United Kingdom. Other rugby league titles published by League Publications Ltd include the weekly newspaper Rugby Leaguer & League Express and the annual Gillette Rugby League Yearbook.
Rugby League World began life in May 1976 as Open Rugby, founded by Harry Edgar, who published and edited the title until July 1998 when it was sold to League Publications Ltd. Graham Clay then took over as editor, and oversaw the change of title to 'Rugby League World' in March 1999.
A short-lived Australian edition was launched and ran for 7 issues, between March to September 2002.
In 2011 an Apple iPad and Android edition of the magazine was launched.
Rugby League World contains the following regular features:
- JJB Meets...: An in-depth interview with a leading rugby league player by fellow professional player Jamie Jones-Buchanan.
- One on One: Tom Coates speaks to a current Super League player about their career.
- Hadfield's World: Dave Hadfield tackles the key issues and personalities.
- Columnists: Robbie Hunter-Paul, Jon Wells, Margaret Ratcliffe, Dave Hadfield.
- Captain's Call: Super League captains reveal their changing room secrets.
- Planet League: In depth coverage of rugby league playing nations around the world.
- Treiziste Diary: A focus on French rugby league by Mike Rylance.
- Bondi Beat: An insight into the big issues in Australian rugby league with Steve Mascord.
- Championship Chat: Regular column by York City Knights coach Dave Woods.
- Championship Focus: Gareth Walker takes a detailed look at key issues in the Championship competitions.
- Everything you ever wanted to know about...: Turning points in rugby league history by Professor Tony Collins.
- Breathing Fire: Ian Golden reports on rugby league developments in Wales.
- Academy Scene: Paul English puts the spotlight on the next generation of rugby league stars.
- Exclusive Ratings: Monthly player ratings for Super League, Championship and Championship One.
List of editors
- Harry Edgar - May 1976 to July 1998
- Graham Clay - August 1998 to February 1999
Rugby League World
- Graham Clay - March 1999 to February 2002
- Tony Hannan - March 2002 to March 2004
- Tim Butcher - April 2004 to March 2007
- Richard de la Riviere - April 2007 to January 2010
- John Drake - February 2010 to present
Golden Boot Award
In 1985, Open Rugby created the Golden Boot Award, to be given annually to the best player of the year, as chosen by a ballot of international rugby league writers and broadcasters. Due to withdrawal of sponsorship, the Golden Boot was not awarded between 1990 to 1998, but the award was resurrected in 1999 and has been presented every year since. In 2011, an on-going project was started in Rugby League World to determine retrospective winners of the Golden Boot for the years 1990-1998.
In 2002 Rugby League World Magazine sponsored the Great Britain team against Australia in the first Test Match played in Sydney for a decade, and has also sponsored the England team in the European Nations Cup.