Rugby sevens at the 2020 Summer Olympics – Men's qualification
|Rugby sevens at the|
2020 Summer Olympics
Twelve teams qualify for men's rugby sevens at the 2020 Summer Olympics. Japan automatically qualifies as host, with the top four teams of the 2018–19 World Rugby Sevens Series securing their spots. Afterwards, qualification is determined with each of the six continental confederations determining a representative, and the remaining qualification spot determined through an international sevens tournament to be determined.
|Host||7 September 2013||N/A||1||Japan|
|2018–19 World Rugby Sevens Series||30 November 2018 – 2 June 2019||Various||4||Fiji|
|2019 South American Qualifying Tournament||29–30 June 2019||Santiago||1|
|2019 RAN Sevens||6–7 July 2019||George Town||1|
|2019 European Qualifying Tournament||13–14 July 2019||Colomiers||1|
|2019 Oceania Sevens Championship||7–9 November 2019||Suva||1|
|2019 Africa Men's Sevens||9–10 November 2019||Johannesburg||1|
|2019 Asian Qualifying Tournament||23–24 November 2019||Incheon||1|
|2020 Final Olympic Qualification Tournament||June 2020||1|
2018–19 World Rugby Sevens Series
As a principal route for the tournament, four places will be determined by performance in the series over ten tournaments.
|2018–19 Core Teams|
- By agreement between the three unions on the island of Great Britain (England, Scotland, Wales), England, as highest finisher among those nations in the 2017–18 series, represents Great Britain in qualifying for the 2020 Olympic Sevens. The final make-up of the Great Britain men's team will be determined by the British Olympic Association.
Rugby Africa will hold the 2019 Africa Men's Sevens on 9–10 November 2019 in Johannesburg, South Africa, with two 2018 regional tournaments serving as a qualifier for the final tournament. South Africa qualified through a top 4 finish in the World Rugby Sevens Series.
2018 Africa Regional Sevens – West
- Pool Stage
- Pool A
- Pool B
- Knockout stage
|16 September - 10:00|
|16 September - 11:50|
|16 September - 10:22|
|16 September - 11:28|
Africa Sevens Qualification
|Semi-finals||Cup/Africa Sevens Qualification|
|16 September - 10:44|
|16 September - 12:34|
|16 September - 11:06|
|16 September - 12:12|
2018 Africa Regional Sevens – Centre
- Pool Stage
|Democratic Republic of the Congo||3||3||0||0||67||10||+57||9|
- Knockout Stage
|30 September - 10:00|
|Democratic Republic of the Congo||10|
|30 September - 12:16|
|Democratic Republic of the Congo||15|
|30 September - 10:22|
|30 September - 11:44|
2019 Africa Men's Sevens
- Pool A
- Pool B
|Trinidad and Tobago||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0|
- Knockout stage
|7 July – 9:30 – Truman Bodden Sports Complex|
|1st Pool A|
|7 July – 12:48 – Truman Bodden Sports Complex|
|4th Pool B|
|7 July – 9:52 – Truman Bodden Sports Complex|
|2nd Pool B|
|7 July – 16:30 – Truman Bodden Sports Complex|
|3rd Pool A|
|7 July – 10:14 – Truman Bodden Sports Complex|
|2nd Pool A|
|7 July – 13:10 – Truman Bodden Sports Complex|
|3rd Pool B|
|7 July – 10:36 – Truman Bodden Sports Complex|
|1st Pool B|
|7 July – 17:14 – Truman Bodden Sports Complex|
|4th Pool A|
Oceania Rugby will hold the 2019 Oceania Sevens Championship on 7–9 November 2019 at Suva, Fiji. Fiji and New Zealand have already qualified through a top 4 finish in the World Rugby Sevens Series.
Olympic qualification event
At a date and venue to be determined in 2020, two runners-up from each of the six tournaments will play at a twelve-team qualification tournament, with the winner advancing.
- "World Rugby and IOC confirm rugby sevens qualification process for Tokyo 2020". insidethegames.biz. 19 September 2018. Retrieved 21 September 2018.
- "QUALIFICATION SYSTEM – GAMES OF THE XXXII OLYMPIAD – TOKYO 2020" (PDF). World Rugby. 14 September 2018. Retrieved 8 October 2018.
- "Schedule confirmed for HSBC World Rugby Sevens Series 2019". World Rugby. 7 June 2018. Retrieved 23 September 2018.
- "Sevens Olympic pathway confirmed for 2020". England Rugby. 17 September 2018. Archived from the original on 12 October 2018.
- "Nigeria Rugby Sevens to play in 2020 Olympic qualifiers". Rugby Africa. 30 April 2019. Retrieved 1 May 2019.
- "Regional Sevens 2018". Rugby Africa. Retrieved 23 September 2018.
- "2020 도쿄 올림픽 남자 럭비 아시아 지역예선(7인제) 한국 개최 안내" (in Korean). Korea Rugby Union. 10 January 2019. Retrieved 17 January 2019.
- "Rugby Europe Competitions Calendar 2018/2019" (PDF). Rugby Europe. 28 March 2019. Retrieved 31 March 2019.
- "Cayman Islands and Barbados to play host to 2019 RAN Competitions". Rugby Americas North. 13 February 2019. Retrieved 13 February 2019.
- "Rugby sevens regional qualifiers confirmed for Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games". Oceania Rugby. 2 April 2019. Retrieved 2 April 2019.
- "El Camino Olímpico Tiene Fechas" (in Spanish). Sudamérica Rugby. 1 April 2019. Retrieved 2 April 2019.