Rugby union in Algeria
|Rugby union in Algeria|
|Governing body||Algerian Rugby Federation|
Rugby union in Algeria is a minor but growing sport. After many years of work, in 2015, Algeria finally created a federation enabling them to apply for member status of Rugby Africa (the administrative body for rugby union within Africa).
As with many minor rugby nations, rugby is centered on the capital, Algiers.
Like many North African countries, the historical connection with France is a mixed blessing. For a number of years, Algerian rugby players would leave to play there, which deprived Algerian rugby of any real competition. There are at least sixty Algerians playing in English and French rugby. Like many other Maghrebi nations, Algerian rugby tended to look to Europe for inspiration, rather than to the rest of Africa.
However, one exception might be Boumedienne Allam: Allam first played for France U-21 squad, winning the Six Nations Tournament of that category, in 2000. He was a member of the historical first game of Algeria national rugby union team, on the 24th February 2007.
- Rugby Club d'Alger (Algiers)
- Stade Oranais (Oran)
- Mouloudia M'sila (M'sila)
- Rugby Club de Béjaïa (Bejaia)
- Rugby Turck (Aïn El Turk - Oran)
- Etoile de Biskra (Biskra)
The national rugby union team played its first unofficial game on the 24th February 2007 under its first coach Morad Kellal. Almost all players play at French clubs,however there are some national players who practice the sport in Australia, New Zealand, Romania and England. On the 18th December 2015, the national team played its first official game since the creation of the Algerian rugby federation (FAR) against the Tunisian rugby union team, to which they won 16 - 6. This was also the first international match played on Algerian soil (Oran), which was televised on the Algerian channel Canal Algerie in the country for the first time.
- Algeria Rugby
- "Islam and Rugby" on the Rugby Readers review
- (French) Rugby In Algeria
- (English) Algerian rugby team statistics
- Current Situation
- http://wesclark.com/rrr/islamic_rugby.html "Islam and Rugby" on the Rugby Readers review Retrieved 5 July 2009
- http://www.magharebia.com/cocoon/awi/xhtml1/en_GB/features/awi/features/2008/06/30/feature-03 Retrieved 5 July 2009