This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
1981 (age 34–35)
Wapping, London, England
|Education||Central Saint Martins College of Art and Design|
Ruh al-'Alam (Arabic: روح العالم; born Ruhul Alam Bengali: রুহুল আলম 1981) is an English Islamic artist who creates mainly works of Islamic calligraphy He is the founder of Visual Dhikr, an Islamic calligraphic artwork project.
Alam was born in London, England, and was brought up in Wapping, East London. He is of Bangladeshi descent, He has been interested in art since his childhood, when he was fascinated with inventing and drawing.
Alam attended the Harry Gosling Primary School and Stepney Green School for Boys. During his years in education including college and university, he took every opportunity of learning art. He had a passion for graphic design which led to the interest of calligraphy, through the appreciation of typography and Islamic art.
Alam works under the title of Visual Dhikr, which means visual remembrance. Dhikr in Arabic means the remembrance of God. He coined the term Visual Dhikr, which technically does not exist in Islamic or Muslim terminology, in 2000, and officially launched a website in 2003 with the same title and concept, which is now a trade marked name.
Alam's early works at the Central St Martins College of Art & Design included artworks of cartoons which were concerned with health issues such as drugs or smoking, including western culture, and also Palestine. He comes from a traditional graphic design, photography and illustration background. Alam has also worked on video and motion FX projects. His most recent piece was about the Visual Dhikr project.
- "Ruh al-Alam". khtt.net. Retrieved 5 June 2009.
- "Gaining Art Inspiration from Islam (Audio)". British Satellite News. 5 September 2005. Retrieved 5 June 2009.
- "Ruh al-'Alam". PSP - the beautiful script. Retrieved 5 June 2009.
- "Official website". Visual Dhikr. Retrieved 6 June 2009.
- "Ruh al-'Alam". Artshole. Retrieved 6 June 2009. Ruh al-'Alam
- "VDO by Visual Dhikr". 9 November 2006. Retrieved 6 June 2009. Ruh al-'Alam
- "Biography". Iythar - Fine Artist. Retrieved 6 June 2009.
- Official website
- Arabesque Ruh's work is in Arabesque: Graphic Design from the Arab World and Persia
- Ruh al-'Alam was the Emel magazine cover story in Emel magazine
- Digital Creative Arts magazine - "Day in the Life of..." feature on Ruh al-Alam
- "The biggest star in the Middle East is a Brit", The Guardian, 27 April 2006
- feature in Unity magazine
- "Gaining Art Inspiration from Islam", British Satellite News
- Press TV: guest on the NEXUS show discussing Islamic art and design
- Feature on Visual Dhikr, Elan magazine, summer 2008
- Feature on Ruh & Iythar, Elaph (Arabic online publication)
- Portfolio.com: Quoted on Dubai art scene
- MCB Interview by MCBDirect
- Aaminah Hernandez interview
- Sony PSP Exhibition
- Islamic men's casual wear by Visual Dhikr