|Founded||1 January 2016|
|Klaus Schäfer, Chief Executive
Chief Financial Officer
Eckhardt Rümmler, Chief Operating Officer
|Services||Electricity generation and distribution
production, distribution and trading
Number of employees
Uniper is a German energy company based in Düsseldorf, North Rhine-Westphalia, that began operating on 1 January 2016. It was formed by the separation of E.ON's fossil fuel assets into a separate company. The name of the company is a portmanteau of "unique" and "performance".
E.ON plan to divest Uniper by spinning off a majority holding in the company to its shareholders, subject to their approval at a meeting planned for June 2016.
The split of the majority of E.ON's 'upstream' electricity generation business from its 'downstream' retail and distribution business was first announced in April 2015. E.ON had also planned to include its nuclear business in Uniper, but reversed the decision in September 2015 due to German government rules aimed at stopping companies avoiding nuclear clean up costs.
- "E.ON making good progress implementing its strategy: retaining its nuclear power business in Germany means spinoff can remain on schedule". E.ON. 9 September 2015. Retrieved 24 February 2016.
- Steitz, Christophe (27 April 2015). "E.ON CFO Schaefer to head future spin-off Uniper". Reuters. Retrieved 24 February 2016.
- Timperley, Jocelyn (4 January 2016). "E.ON completes split of fossil fuel and renewable operations". BusinessGreen. Retrieved 23 February 2016.
- Andresen, Tino (10 September 2015). "EON Cancels Nuclear Business Spinoff as 2015 Loss Forecast". Bloomberg Business. Retrieved 24 February 2016.
- "Eon zieht nach Essen - Neue Gesellschaft heißt Uniper". 27 April 2015. Retrieved 28 April 2015.
- mm-newsdesk (27 April 2015). "Eons Kernspaltung - mit "Uniper" soll alles besser werden". Retrieved 28 April 2015.