Rui Costa (politician)
|51st Governor of Bahia|
|Assumed office |
January 1, 2015
|Vice Governor||João Leão|
|Preceded by||Jaques Wagner|
|Federal Deputy for Bahia|
February 1, 2011 – December 22, 2014
|Alderman of Salvador|
January 1, 2001 – January 1, 2009
|Secretary of the Civil House of Bahia|
January 5, 2012 – April 1, 2014
|Preceded by||Eva Chiavon|
|Succeeded by||Bruno Dauster|
|Institutional Relations Secretary of Bahia|
January 15, 2007 – January 1, 2011
|Succeeded by||Emilson Piau|
|Born||January 18, 1963|
Salvador, Bahia, Brazil
|Political party||Workers' Party|
|Alma mater||Federal University of Bahia|
In January 2007, invited by the Governor Jaques Wagner, Rui Costa took over the Secretariat of Institutional Relations (Serin), where he stayed until 2010. In Serin, Rui developed a new model of integration between the executive and legislative state with federal entities and social movements. The initiative was enhanced with the launch of the Institutional Relationship System (SRI), designed to speed up the progress of claims and standardize care.
In 2010 he was elected federal deputy for the PT, again with the highest number of votes of the PT bench.
Rui Costa was chosen as the PT candidate for the State of Bahia in elections in 2014, and elected in the 1st round with 54.53% of the votes, against 37.39% of his main opponent, Paulo Souto. In 2018, he was reelected with over 75% of the votes in the first round, easily defeating Zé Ronaldo.
Rui Costa is considered a moderate among his party. As governor, he privatized the state owned supermarket, approved a pension reform, implemented public–private partnerships for education and health and supported electoral alliances with the PSDB and Democrats, center right historical rivals of PT, in the 2022 presidential election in order to defeat Bolsonaro. He is being considered as the PT presidential nominee in 2022.
- "Serin coordena novo sistema de relacionamento institucional do governo". Liderança do PT Bahia. 2007-07-20.
- "Estado propõe nova relação na esfera pública". Aratu Online.
- "Sistema de Relacionamento Institucional ganha versão atualizada". Processamento de Dados do Estado da Bahia - Prodeb.
- Biografia - Site da Casa Civil da Bahia
- Samuel Celestino (27 July 2014). "Convenção do PT extrapola expectativa". Bahia Notícias. Retrieved 27 July 2014.
- "Apuração de votos para governador na Bahia". G1. 5 October 2014. Retrieved 5 October 2014.
- "Rui Costa, do PT, é reeleito governador da Bahia". G1 (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2021-01-07.
- "Governo baiano privatiza rede de supermercados Cesta do Povo - 28/12/2014 - Mercado - Folha de S.Paulo". m.folha.uol.com.br. Retrieved 2021-01-07.
- "Reforma da Previdência estadual é aprovada na Bahia após invasão de manifestantes". G1 (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2021-01-07.
- "Governo da BA deve lançar até três PPPs de saneamento no início de 2020". ISTOÉ Independente (in Portuguese). 2019-12-13. Retrieved 2021-01-07.
- "Rui Costa defende aliança entre PT, PSDB e DEM para derrotar Bolsonaro em 2022". www.bahianoticias.com.br (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2021-01-07.
- Paulo, iG São (2019-05-05). "Governador da Bahia ganha força para ser o candidato do PT à presidência em 2022". Último Segundo (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2021-01-07.