Ruins (Australian band)
|Labels||Stomp, Blacktalon Media, Neurotic Records, Debemur Morti Productions, Moribund Records|
|Associated acts||Psycroptic, The Amenta|
|Website||Ruins official website|
Ruins is an Australian black metal band, based in Hobart, Tasmania. The band was formed somewhere between 2000 and 2002 by Alex Pope, (formerly of the Sea Scouts,) and Dave Haley (The Amenta, Blood Duster and Psycroptic).
Ruins began as a recording project, featuring Pope supplying vocals, guitar and bass, with Haley on drums. It has been incorrectly reported that Haley is merely a session player in the band, and he has publicly dismissed such views as nonsense. The band consists of two core-members used on recordings, with extra live members added for shows, similar to Norwegian black metal band, Satyricon. Initial recordings were intended for demo purposes only, but were decided later to be of sufficient quality for public use. Their first recording, Atom and Time, was released in 2004 by Blacktalon Media.
Their debut full length album Spun Forth as Dark Nets was engineered by Joe Haley, Dave's brother and member of the live Ruins line-up. From the response to their recordings, Ruins decided to recruit session musicians to play live.
Joe Haley and Kai Summers joined Ruins as live session members on guitar and bass respectively. When Summers has been unavailable for shows, Tom Void has filled in. However, Summers remains the full-time live member. Ruins have toured extensively across Australia and New Zealand, supporting many well-known overseas bands including Satyricon, Celtic Frost, Immortal, Pig Destroyer and Wolves in the Throne Room.
Their third release, Cauldron (2008), was repressed on limited edition vinyl by Debemur Morti Productions. Front the Final Foes, which was released in late 2009, showcased a heavier production style, and less introspective songwriting.
- Atom and Time EP (2004)
- Spun Forth as Dark Nets (2005)
- Cauldron (2008)
- Front the Final Foes (2009)
- Place of No Pity (2012)
- Blacktalon Media - Legions - Opening of the Southern Gate double compilation, 2004 - featuring the Ruins track "Desolation".
- Prime Cuts - A Blaze in the Southern Skies compilation, 2007 - featuring the Ruins track "Suicidal Pulse".
- "Ruins". Ruinsband.com. Archived from the original on 2012-02-18. Retrieved 2008-12-02.
- "Sea Scouts :: related bands :: Ruins". Koti.mbnet.fi. Retrieved 2008-12-02.[dead link]
- "Ruins - Aus Metal Guide". Ausmetalguide.com. Archived from the original on 2013-07-16. Retrieved 2008-12-02.
- "Interview With Psycroptic Drummer Dave Haley - in Metal News". Metal Underground.com. Archived from the original on 2012-03-02. Retrieved 2013-03-27.
- "Neurotic Records". Neurotic-records.com. Archived from the original on 2012-10-06. Retrieved 2008-12-02.
- "Psycroptic". Psycroptic.com. Archived from the original on 2012-02-11. Retrieved 2008-12-02.
- "Review of Ruins - Cauldron - Last Rites". Metalreview.com. Archived from the original on 2012-03-01. Retrieved 2013-03-27.
- "Ruins - Cauldron - Encyclopaedia Metallum". The Metal Archives. Archived from the original on 2010-07-15. Retrieved 2013-03-27.
- "Ruins - Front the Final Foes - Encyclopaedia Metallum". The Metal Archives. Archived from the original on 2010-07-15. Retrieved 2013-03-27.
- "Review of Ruins - Front The Final Foes - Last Rites". Metalreview.com. Archived from the original on 2012-03-01. Retrieved 2013-03-27.
||This article's use of external links may not follow Wikipedia's policies or guidelines. (March 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|