District location in Uganda
|• Land||1,444.9 km2 (557.9 sq mi)|
|• Water||222.4 km2 (85.9 sq mi)|
|• Density||241/km2 (620/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+3 (EAT)|
The district is bordered by Democratic Republic of Congo to the North West, Mitooma District to the north east, Ntungamo District to the southeast, Kabale District to the south, Kanungu District to the west, and the Democratic Republic of the Congo to the northwest. The district headquarters are approximately 400 kilometres (250 mi), by road, south-west of Kampala, Uganda's capital city.
Other prominent Ugandans who hail from the district include
Hon. Kham Kakama Karekaho Karegyesa (RIP) (former Minister in Obote 2 Gov't and son of Omukama Karegyesa, king of Rujumbura,Mpororo)
Mr. Mathew Rukikaire (Founding member of Uganda Patriotic Movement now National Resistance Movement)
Gen. Aronda Nyakairima (deceased), the former minister of internal affairs and former Chief of Defence Forces of the UPDF
Maj.Gen. Jim Muhwezi former Minister of Education and Sports, former Minister of Health and former ISO Director General currently head of the NRM Veterans in the CEC.
Allen Kagina former URA Executive Director
Lt. Gen. Henry Tumukunde, the former Updf Chief of planning, Updf chief of personnel and administration, Updf Commander of 4th division, director of ISO, director of CMI, MP of Rubaabo, Minister of Security and Presidential Candidate in 2021.
The parliamentary representatives of this district are Mary Paula Kebirungi Turyahikayo (NRM) for Rubabo, Fred Turyamuhweza(FDC) for Rujumbura, Betty Muzanira (FDC) woman representative and Ronald Kaginda (FDC) Rukungiri Municipality]].
In 1991, the population of the district was estimated at 230,100. The 2002 national census estimated the population at 275,200. The district annual population growth rate was calculated at 1.6 percent. In 2012, the population was estimated at 321,300.
Employment in urban centers is scarce, with many qualified candidates clamoring for the few available positions.
Other points of interest
The following points of interest are in Rukungiri District:
- Kisizi Hospital - A 250-bed private hospital administered by the Church of Uganda
- Karoli Lwanga Hospital, Nyakibale- A 200-bed hospital administered by the Uganda Catholic Church
- Immaculate Heart Girls' School-Nyakibale, one of the top academic giant Schools in the country
- "Distance Between Kampala And Rukungiri With Map". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 20 May 2014.
- "Uganda Elect on 2016|List of elected MPs". elections.co.ug. 17 February 2016. Retrieved 2 August 2017.
- "Estimated Population of Rukungiri In 1991, 2002 & 2012". Citypopulation.de. Retrieved 20 May 2014.
- Birungi, Machrine (21 January 2011). "200 Compete For 45 Jobs In Rukungiri". Uganda Radio Network. Retrieved 20 May 2014.
- Mann, C. (undated). Immaculate Heart Girls' School Nyakibale- Headmistress' message