District location in Uganda
|• Land||1,444.9 km2 (557.9 sq mi)|
|• Water||222.4 km2 (85.9 sq mi)|
|Population (2012 Estimate)|
|• Density||241/km2 (620/sq mi)|
|Time zone||EAT (UTC+3)|
The district is bordered by Rubirizi District to the north, Mitooma District to the east, Ntungamo District to the southeast, Kabale District to the south, Kanungu District to the west, and the Democratic Republic of the Congo to the northwest. The district headquarters are located approximately 400 kilometres (250 mi), by road, southwest of Kampala, Uganda's capital city.
The district is the birthplace of Kizza Besigye, who was a candidate for the Ugandan Presidency in 2001, 2006, and 2011. Other prominent Ugandans who hail from the district include Aronda Nyakairima, the minister of internal affairs, and Henry Tumukunde, a former director of Uganda's Internal Security Organisation. One of the parliamentary representatives of this district is Jim Muhwezi.
In 1991, the population of the district was estimated at 230,100. The 2002 national census estimated the population at 275,200. The district annual population growth rate was calculated at 1.6 percent. In 2012, the population was estimated at 321,300.
|This paragraph needs additional citations for verification. (October 2015)|
The mainstay of the economy of the district is agriculture. More than 90 percent of the population are engaged in farming. Of the 1,524.28 square kilometres (588.53 sq mi) total land area of the district, 1,352.3 square kilometres (522.1 sq mi) is arable land. Out of these, 1,150 square kilometres (440 sq mi) are already under cultivation. Production is mainly subsistence although the soils are very fertile and with potential for intensive commercial farming. The two chief cash crops are coffee and matooke.
Employment in urban centers is scarce, with many qualified candidates clamoring for the few available positions.
Other points of interest
The following points of interest are located in Rukungiri District:
- Kisizi Hospital - A 250-bed private hospital administered by the Church of Uganda
- Ishasha Airport - An airfield located in Queen Elizabeth National Park, near the town of Ishasha, close to the border with the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
- "Distance Between Kampala And Rukungiri With Map". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 20 May 2014.
- "Major General Muhwezi Jim Katugugu Represents Rujumbura County, Rukungiri District In Parliament". Parliament of Uganda. Retrieved 20 May 2014.
- "Estimated Population of Rukungiri In 1991, 2002 & 2012". Citypopulation.de. Retrieved 20 May 2014.
- Birungi, Machrine (21 January 2011). "200 Compete For 45 Jobs In Rukungiri". Uganda Radio Network. Retrieved 20 May 2014.
- Community Involvement in Obstetric Emergency Management in Rural Areas: A Case of Rukungiri District, Western Uganda