District location in Uganda
|• Land||1,444.9 km2 (557.9 sq mi)|
|• Water||222.4 km2 (85.9 sq mi)|
|Population (2012 Estimate)|
|• Density||241/km2 (620/sq mi)|
|Time zone||EAT (UTC+3)|
The district is bordered by Rubirizi District to the north, Mitooma District to the east, Ntungamo District to the southeast, Kabale District to the south, Kanungu District to the west, and the Democratic Republic of the Congo to the northwest. The district headquarters are approximately 400 kilometres (250 mi), by road, south-west of Kampala, Uganda's capital city.
Other prominent Ugandans who hail from the district include Aronda Nyakairima, the minister of internal affairs, and Henry Tumukunde, a former director of Uganda's Internal Security Organisation.
In 1991, the population of the district was estimated at 230,100. The 2002 national census estimated the population at 275,200. The district annual population growth rate was calculated at 1.6 percent. In 2012, the population was estimated at 321,300.
Employment in urban centers is scarce, with many qualified candidates clamoring for the few available positions.
Other points of interest
The following points of interest are in Rukungiri District:
- Aronda Nyakairima, army officer
- "Distance Between Kampala And Rukungiri With Map". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 20 May 2014.
- "Major General Muhwezi Jim Katugugu Represents Rujumbura County, Rukungiri District In Parliament". Parliament of Uganda. Retrieved 20 May 2014.
- "Estimated Population of Rukungiri In 1991, 2002 & 2012". Citypopulation.de. Retrieved 20 May 2014.
- Birungi, Machrine (21 January 2011). "200 Compete For 45 Jobs In Rukungiri". Uganda Radio Network. Retrieved 20 May 2014.