Rulers of India series
The Rulers of India was a biographical book series edited by William Wilson Hunter and published from the Clarendon Press, Oxford. Hunter himself contributed the volumes on Dalhousie (1890) and Mayo (1891) to the series.
William Hunter retired from his long career as a member of the Indian Civil Service in March 1887 and settled in Oxford, England. On 13 March 1889 Philip Lyttelton Gell, then Secretary to the Delegates of the Clarendon Press, wrote to Hunter about
a project which has been for some time under the consideration of the Delegates, to publish a series giving the salient features of Indian History in the Biographies of successive Generals and Administrators.
Gell arranged the publication of the series by June 1889; with Hunter receiving £75 for each volume, and the author £25. Financial constraints forced the series to end at 28 volumes in spite of Hunter's disappointment about the same.
- H. P. (1891). "Akbar (Rulers of India) by G. B. Malleson; Dupleix by G. B. Malleson; The Marquess of Dalhousie by William Wilson Hunter; Lord Lawrence, (English Men of Action) by Richard Temple". Revue Historique. 47 (2): 387–393. JSTOR 40938228.
- H. P. (1892). "Lord Clive, (English Men of Action) by Charles Wilson; Warren Hastings by Alfred Comyn Lyall; Warren Hastings, (Rulers of India) by L. J. Trotter; The Earl of Mayo by William Wilson Hunter". Revue Historique. 48 (2): 387–400. JSTOR 40939452.
- (Chatterjee 2004, p. 65–102)
- H. P. (1895). "Lord Clive, (Rulers of India) by G. B. Malleson; Lord Wellesley by W. H. Hutton; Land Revenue and Tenure in British India by B. H. Badenpowell". Revue Historique. 59 (2): 404–408. JSTOR 40939319.
- Lane-Poole, S. (October 1894). "The Marquess Wellesley, K. G by W. H. Hutton". The English Historical Review. 9 (36): 811–813. JSTOR 547604.
- "Rulers of India: Mountstuart Elphinstone by J. S. Cotton". The English Historical Review. 7 (28): 813. October 1892. JSTOR 547455.
- Charles Edward Buckland (1906). Dictionary of Indian Biography. Swan Sonnenschein. p. 51.
- Hutton, W. H. (July 1895). "John Russell Colvin, the Last Lieutenant-Governor of the North-West under the Company by Auckland Colvin". The English Historical Review. 10 (39): 604. JSTOR 547869.
- "Rulers of India: Clyde and Strathnairn by Owen Tudor Burne". The Journal of the Society of Arts. 40 (2039): 123–124. December 18, 1891. JSTOR 41328306.
- Chatterjee, Rimi B. (2004). ""Every Line for India" : The Oxford University Press and the Rise and Fall of the Rulers of India Series". In Chakravorty, Swapan; Gupta, Abhijit. Print Areas: Book History in India. Orient Blackswan. pp. 65–102. ISBN 978-81-7824-082-4.
- Encyclopaedia of Indian Rulers. Cosmo Publications. 2001.