Rumbach Street Synagogue
|Rumbach Street Synagogue|
Rumbach utcai Zsinagóga
|Ecclesiastical or organizational status||Inactive Synagogue|
|Architectural style||Moorish Revival|
|Direction of façade||SW|
|Length||50 meters (160 ft)|
|Width||35 meters (115 ft)|
|Height (max)||28 meters (92 ft)|
The Rumbach Street synagogue (Hungarian: Rumbach utcai zsinagóga) is located in Belváros, the inner city of the historical old town of Pest, in the eastern section of Budapest. The synagogue in Rumbach Street was built in 1872 to the design of the Viennese architect Otto Wagner. It served the more conservative members of the Neológ community of Pest.
The Moorish Revival synagogue has eight sides and while the interior is badly in need of restoration, the octagonal, balconied, domed synagogue intricately patterned and painted in Islamic style is exquisitely beautiful. It was built not as an exact replica of, but as an homage to the style of the octagonal, domed Dome of the Rock Muslim shrine in Jerusalem.
The synagogue sometimes hosts plays and photo exhibits*. There is some labeling of items in the synagogue many of which are in a state of ruin*.
The Rabbi of the Rumbach Street synagogue was Rabbi Shloime Boruch Schmalhausen until the Holocaust and deportation of the Jews of Budapest.
- Synagogues built in the Moorish Revival style:
- Muller, Ines (1992). Die Otto Wagner-Synagoge in Budapest (in German). Wien: Löcker. ISBN 978-3-85409-200-1.
- Kalmar, Ivan Davidson (2001). "Moorish Style: Orientalism, the Jews, and Synagogue Architecture" (PDF). Jewish Social Studies History Culture and Society. 7 (3): 68. doi:10.2979/JSS.2001.7.3.68. Retrieved 2008-03-19.
- Szegő, György (2004). "The Gozsdu Court in the Jewish Triangle". The Hungarian Quarterly. XLV (76). Archived from the original on 2006-05-29. Retrieved 2008-03-19.
- This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Gotthard Deutsch, Alexander Büchler (1901–1906). "Budapest". In Singer, Isidore; et al. Jewish Encyclopedia. New York: Funk & Wagnalls Company.
- Jewish.hu - The Synagogue Triangle
- Kaufman, Rachelle Kaufman An American Jew in Budapest 2015
Media related to Rumbach Street Synagogue at Wikimedia Commons