Run (Nicole Scherzinger song)
|Single by Nicole Scherzinger|
|from the album Big Fat Lie|
|Released||September 30, 2014|
|Nicole Scherzinger singles chronology|
"Run" is a song recorded by American singer Nicole Scherzinger for her second studio album, Big Fat Lie (2014). It was written by Justin Tranter, Julia Michaels and Felix Snow of which the latter produced it alongside Chris "Tek" O'Ryan. The song was released on September 30, 2014 to contemporary hit radio by Epic Records in the United States as the lead single; however the release was never materialized. A piano-ballad which also includes dramatic strings, "Run" offers advice to the next broken heart.
The track garnered a positive response from music critics who praised Scherzinger's strong and emotive vocal performance and highlighted it as an album stand-out. Its accompanying music video was premiered through Vevo on October 12, 2014 and features Scherzinger in an opulent mansion. Commercially, "Run" failed to chart in the United States but charted on the Irish Singles Chart and UK Singles Chart at number 63 and 46 respectively.
In an interview with Idolator on October 14, with regards "Run's" release in the United States she said, "we did something quite unexpected that I don’t even think we realized we were gonna do. We actually had plans for another single, I guess we just took a leap of faith and believed in this song so much."
"Run" is vulnerable piano ballad where Scherzinger gives advice to the next girl in lines such as, "Don’t let him lead you to the dark / Don’t tell him all your secrets / He’ll leave you with a broken heart." According to Mike Wess "Run" showcases the singer's "underrated pipes."
Alex Kritelis of Bustle magazine described "Run" as "one of the most powerful ballads" but felt that the song wouldn't become a hit. Lewis Corner of Digital Spy praised Scherzinger for her "soul-baring vocal performance and stripped-down production proving Nicole's undeniable talent." Rory Cashin of Entertainment.ie agreed with Corner highlighting it as an album standout and "a great way to close out the album." Mike Wass described of "Idolator" described the song as "beautifully understated ballad" and felt the "lyrics are genuinely heartfelt." Chris DeVille from the website Stereogum described "Run" as the strongest material she's offered and lauded her decision to release it as he felt that "maybe her destiny is not steamy club jams with elaborate dance numbers but belting out torch songs in formal dresses at ornate theaters."
In an interview with Idolator on October 14, while discussing the concept for the music video Scherzinger stated there was possibility that "Run" would have two videos one for the United Kingdom which she described as a "one-take live video" and one for the United States. With regards to the US version she stated that, "it’s pretty much going to be a one-take video that’s very simple and stripped back." On November 6, 2014 gave an interview with E! News and delivered a sneak peek of the video. Several days later Glamour magazine posted pictures from the set of the music video features Scherzinger draped in a blanket, looking intensely in a mirror and lying on the floor. The music video premiered on November 12 on Vevo. The video was described "subtle" and features Scherzinger in an opulent mansion. The majority of the video shows the singer lying on the floor in a slip before walking around her mansion and emoting for the camera. The video ends with Scherzinger looking into a mirror.
On September 30, 2014, Scherzinger performed "Run" for the first time on Access Hollywood Live. Mike Wass of Idolator praised Scherzinger's ability to "[ooze] raw emotion and [deliver] goosebumps-inducing vocal acrobatics." On October 15, she held an acoustic showcase of her album at Hotel Café Royal. "Run" was performed as the closing track. On 16 November 2014, Scherzinger performed "Run" on the eleventh series of The X Factor.
Credits and personnel
Credits adapted from the liner notes of Big Fat Lie.
- Engineered at Larrabee Studios; (Universal City, California)
- Mixed at LOL Palace; (Los Angeles, California)
- Alejandro Baima – assistant engineer
- Julia Michaels – songwriter
- Chris "Tek" O'Ryan – vocal producer, engineer
- Nicole Scherzinger – performer
- Felix Snow – producer, songwriter, mixer
- Justin Tranter – songwriter
- "Run" – 3:30
- "Run" (Moto remix) [radio edit] – 3:23
- "Run" (Moto club remix) – 6:30
|Scotland (Official Charts Company)||26|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||46|
|Australia||September 30, 2014||Digital download||Sony Music|
|Contemporary hit radio|
|United Kingdom||December 14, 2014||Digital download||RCA|
- Wass, Mike (October 14, 2014). "Nicole Scherzinger Talks New Single "Run", Unreleased Material & Long-Awaited LP 'Big Fat Lie': Idolator Q&A". Idolator. Spin Media. Retrieved October 16, 2014.
- "New Music: Nicole Scherzinger – 'Run'". Rap-Up. September 30, 2014. Retrieved July 18, 2016.
- Wass, Mike (November 13, 2014). "Nicole Scherzinger's "Run" Video Is Understated And Emotional: Watch The Classy Treatment". Idolator. Spin Media. Retrieved July 19, 2016.
- Kritselis, Alex (September 25, 2014). "Nicole Scherzinger's "Run" Has an Important Message About Emotionally Abusive Relationships — LISTEN". Bustle. Retrieved July 18, 2016.
- Corner, Lewis (October 20, 2014). "Nicole Scherzinger: Big Fat Lie album review - Not quite so Schamazing". Digital Spy. Hearst Magazines. Retrieved July 18, 2016.
- Cashin, Rory (October 22, 2014). "We listened to Nicole Scherzinger's new album so you don't have to". Entertainment.ie. Retrieved July 18, 2016.
- Wass, Mike (September 12, 2014). "Another New Nicole Scherzinger Song Debuted On French Radio: Listen To "Run"". Idolator. Spin Media. Retrieved July 19, 2016.
- Deville, Chris (October 2, 2014). "The Week In Pop: With "Rather Be," Brainy Hybrid Band Clean Bandit Finds The Feeling". Stereogum. Retrieved September 2, 2016.
- Vulpo, Mike (November 6, 2014). "Nicole Scherzinger Shares First Look at "Run" Music Video, Talks Moving to London for Cats". E! Online. Retrieved July 18, 2016.
- Smith, Lauren (November 11, 2014). "EXCLUSIVE: Pics from Nicole Scherzinger's new video". Glamour. Retrieved July 18, 2016.
- Wass, Mike (October 1, 2014). "Nicole Scherzinger's New Single "Run" Sounds Even Better Live: Watch Her Incredible Performance". Idolator. Spin Media. Retrieved August 28, 2014.
- Welsh, Daniel (October 15, 2014). "Nicole Scherzinger 'Big Fat Lie': Five Things You Can Expect From 'Your Love' Singer's New Album". The Huffington Post. Retrieved January 24, 2015.
- "The X Factor 2014 results: Nicole Scherzinger shows Cheryl Cole how to sing live - Metro News". Metro.
- Big Fat Lie (Media notes). Nicole Scherzinger. RCA Records.
- "Chart Track: Week 47, 2014". Irish Singles Chart.
- "Official Scottish Singles Sales Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company.
- "Nicole Scherzinger: Artist Chart History". Official Charts Company. Retrieved November 23, 2014.
- "Music - Run - Single by Nicole Scherzinger". iTunes Store (Australia). Apple Inc. Retrieved September 30, 2014.
- "Music - Run - Single by Nicole Scherzinger". iTunes Store (Belgium). Apple Inc. Retrieved September 30, 2014.
- "Music - Run - Single by Nicole Scherzinger". iTunes Store (Canada). Apple Inc. Retrieved September 30, 2014.
- "Musique - Run - Single par Nicole Scherzinger". iTunes Store (France). Apple Inc. Retrieved September 30, 2014.
- "Musik – „Run - Single" von Nicole Scherzinger". iTunes Store (Germany). Apple Inc. Retrieved September 30, 2014.
- "Music - Run - Single by Nicole Scherzinger". iTunes Store (New Zealand). Apple Inc. Retrieved September 30, 2014.
- "Música - Run - Single de Nicole Scherzinger". iTunes Store (Spain). Apple Inc. Retrieved September 30, 2014.
- "Musik – „Run - Single" von Nicole Scherzinger". iTunes Store (Switzerland). Apple Inc. Retrieved September 30, 2014.
- "Music - Run - Single by Nicole Scherzinger". iTunes Store (United States). Apple Inc. Retrieved September 30, 2014.
- "Top 40/M Future Releases". All Access Music Group. Archived from the original on September 27, 2014. Retrieved September 27, 2014.
- "Run (Remixes): Nicole Scherzinger: MP3 Downloads". Amazon.co.uk. Retrieved November 27, 2014.
- on YouTube