Run for Cover (film)
|Run for Cover|
|Directed by||Nicholas Ray|
|Produced by||William H. Pine
William C. Thomas
|Screenplay by||Winston Miller|
|Story by||Harriet Frank, Jr.
|Music by||Howard Jackson|
|Edited by||Howard Smith|
|Distributed by||Paramount Pictures|
|April 29, 1955|
|Box office||$1.5 million (US)|
Run for Cover is a 1955 western film directed by Nicholas Ray, starring James Cagney, Viveca Lindfors, John Derek, and in his final film, Jean Hersholt. Distributed by Paramount Pictures, this film was made in VistaVision.
Matt Dow meets young cowboy Davey Bishop for the first time. As they take turns shooting at a hawk, a train that has recently been robbed goes by. Mistaking it for an attack by train robbers, a bag of money is tossed from the train toward the two men.
Dow and Davey take the money to town, where they are presumed to have robbed the train. Davey is shot, wounded and taken to the Swenson farm to recover. Matt explains what happened and is made welcome by Helga Swenson and her father.
The townspeople regret the shooting of Davey, whose limp will be permanent. Matt accepts a job as sheriff, trying to redeem himself for a shady past. He also begins to court Helga.
Outlaws led by a man named Morgan rob the town's bank. One recognizes Matt, which makes the townsfolk worry that he might be in on this. Matt sets out to capture one of the robbers, but Davey, now a deputy, fails to stop another thief from being lynched. And Helga's father is also accidentally killed.
A posse is formed, but after a hard ride, Matt and Davey are the only ones left. Bodies of most of the thieves are found dead with Comanche arrows in them. Davey double-crosses Matt, confessing that he was in on the robbery all along.
A wounded Matt tries to make it across a river and the money drifts away. Davey and Morgan discuss how to get it back. Davey decides to do the right thing at last and shoots Morgan, but mistakenly Matt believes that Davey has drawn a gun on him and shoots in self-defense. Davey is dead and Matt rides back to Helga to explain.
- James Cagney as Matt Dow
- Viveca Lindfors as Helga Swenson
- John Derek as Davey Bishop
- Jean Hersholt as Mr. Swenson
- Grant Withers as Gentry
- Jack Lambert as Larsen
- Ernest Borgnine as Morgan
- Ray Teal as Sheriff
- Irving Bacon as Scotty
- Trevor Bardette as Paulsen
- John Miljan as Mayor Walsh
- Gus Schilling as Doc Ridgeway
- 'The Top Box-Office Hits of 1955', Variety Weekly, January 25, 1956
- Geoff Andrew -The films of Nicholas Ray: the poet of nightfall 2004 -p181 "; art dir: Hal Pereira, Henry Bumstead; set: Sam Comer, Frank McKelvy; ed: Howard Smith; mus: Howard Jackson; song 'Run for Cover' by Jackson and Jack Brooks. Ip: James Cagney (Matt Dow), John Derek (Davey Bishop), ..."