Rundfunk Berlin-Brandenburg (rbb) (Berlin-Brandenburg Broadcasting) is an institution under public law (national broadcaster) for the German states of Berlin and Brandenburg, situated in Berlin and Potsdam. rbb was established on 1 May 2003 through the merger of Sender Freies Berlin (SFB) and Ostdeutscher Rundfunk Brandenburg (ORB), based in Potsdam, and is a member of the Association of PSBs in the Federal Republic of Germany (ARD).
rbb has not only the two main studios in Berlin and Potsdam, but also regional studios in Cottbus and Frankfurt (Oder) and regional offices in Perleberg and Prenzlau. In addition, rbb operates the ARD International Studio in Warsaw, whose responsibility interchanges every five years between rbb and WDR (WDR was last in charge from May 2009 to September 2014). The institution also operates the ARD Play-Out Center in Potsdam, a broadcast center for the programs within the ARD digital bouquet. rbb, together with WDR, is responsible for the ARD television studio in Berlin.
rbb was built on 25 June 2002 on the basis of the treaty about the establishment of a joint broadcasting company by the states of Berlin and Brandenburg. Therefore, rbb hosts radio and television and has to make sure that both treaty states will be equally provided "with respect to the regional program needs".
Licensing fees required for Radio and TV sets are €17.03 per month, as of 1 April 2005. For radio reception alone, the monthly fee is €5.52 These fees are not collected directly by the rbb but by the GEZ that is a common organisation of ARD, and its members, ZDF and Deutschlandfunk.
- rbb Fernsehen - Berlin and Brandenburg's regional public-broadcasting TV channel (successor to the former SFB 1 and ORB TV channels). Between 19.30 and 20.00, the channel transmits separate regional news programmes for Berlin ("Abendschau") and Brandenburg ("Brandenburg aktuell")
- Das Erste - Germany's main television network, to which RBB – as a member of ARD – contributes 7% of programming hours
- Phoenix - ARD and ZDF's joint news, events and current-affairs channel
- KI.KA - ARD and ZDF's joint children's channel
- arte - Franco-German cultural channel
- 3sat - Cultural channel provided jointly by ARD, ZDF, ORF (Austrian Broadcasting), and SRG (Swiss Broadcasting)
- Radio Berlin 88,8 - City radio for Berlin from Berlin
- Antenne Brandenburg - Public program for Brandenburg from Potsdam with regional information from the studios in Potsdam, Cottbus, Frankfurt (Oder), Perleberg and Prenzlau
- radioeins - Radio program designed for people aged 25 and above
- Fritz - Program for young people between the age of 14 and 24
- Kulturradio - Cultural program from Berlin
- Inforadio - News program from Berlin
- Sorbischer Rundfunk - a joint program with MDR in the Sorbian language
- Funkhaus Europa - wave from WDR for interested German listeners and foreigners, which is produced in cooperation with Radio Bremen and rbb, (replaced Radio Multikulti produced by rbb on 31 December 2008)
See also: German television
Well known productions
rbb is producing for ARD crime films for the crime series Tatort and Polizeiruf 110, the political journal Kontraste and the satirical show Satiregipfel (formerly "Scheibenwischer"). In the years from 2003 to 2005 rbb broadcast the Kurt Krömer Show, which attracted attention nationwide. Since 2005/06 the institution produces the successor format Bei Krömers for ARD.
The regional news show Abendschau has a high profile in the capital region. Since 1958, initially with a slot in ARD including nationwide transmission of the Berlin visit of John F. Kennedy, and later distributed under SFB-frequency, Abendschau reports as an urban magazine on politics, economy, sports and timeliness in Berlin and presents sensitivities, originals and anecdotes from the districts and boroughs.
For younger audiences between four and eight years old, rbb produces the "Ohrenbär".
- WDR uebergibt ARD-Berichterstattung an rbb. Westdeutscher Rundfunk. 19 September 2014. Retrieved 2 January 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rundfunk Berlin-Brandenburg.|
- RBB Homepage (in German)