Runkuraqay or Runku Raqay (Quechua runku basket, raqay shed / derelict house / ruin) is an archaeological site on a mountain of the same name in Peru located in the Cusco Region, Urubamba Province, Machupicchu District. It is situated southeast of the archaeological site Machu Picchu and south of the river Willkanuta. The ruins lie on the southern slope of the mountain Runkuraqay near the Runkuraqay pass, northeast of the archaeological site Sayaqmarka and southeast of the site Qunchamarka.
Location of Runkuraqay as shown on a sign near Willkaraqay
References and notes
- http://www.mincetur.gob.pe Region Cusco - Ministerio de Comercio Exterior y Turismo
- Diccionario Quechua - Español - Quechua, Academía Mayor de la Lengua Quechua, Gobierno Regional Cusco, Cusco 2005 (Quechua-Spanish dictionary)
- Teofilo Laime Ajacopa, Diccionario Bilingüe Iskay simipi yuyayk'ancha, La Paz, 2007 (Quechua-Spanish dictionary)
- Note: The dictionary of the 'Academia Mayor de la Lengua Quechua' gives Runru Raqay as an alternative.
- escale.minedu.gob.pe - UGEL map of the Urubamba Province (Cusco Region) showing the location of the mountain Runkuraqay