Runnin' (The Pharcyde song)
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Single by The Pharcyde|
|from the album Labcabincalifornia|
|Released||October 7, 1995|
|Label||Delicious Vinyl Records|
|The Pharcyde singles chronology|
Runnin' is a song performed by The Pharcyde and produced by J Dilla. It was released as the first single from The Pharcyde's second album Labcabincalifornia in 1995. The song peaked at #55 on the Billboard Hot 100, and reached #35 on the U.S. R&B chart. Also featured in The Pharcyde's greatest hits compilation Cydeways: The Best of The Pharcyde, Runnin' is one of Pharcyde's most remembered songs, along with "Passin' Me By".
The song samples popular jazz artist Stan Getz's "Saudade Vem Correndo", from his 1963 album "Jazz Samba Encore". The sample loops a small section of the track's bridge, layering on additions from other sections of Getz' song (such as Getz' sax solo parts).
The track "Qtio" by Brothomstates samples a line from this song.
In 2003, singer Mýa sampled the song for her single "Fallen", which led to a collaboration between Mýa and The Pharcyde.
In 2009, rapper Wiz Khalifa sampled the song for the song on his mixtape, Flight School, "Name on a Cloud".
Appearances in other media
- In Entourage episode 39, "Runnin'" plays after the final scene and continues to play throughout the closing credits.
- The song is featured in season 2, episode 7 of New York Undercover, Student Affairs (1995).
- The song appears in the 2002 film 8 Mile, and is featured on the More Music From 8 Mile soundtrack.
- Marc Mac (of 4hero) did an interpretation of the song on his Visioneers Dirty Old Hip Hop album.
- The song appears in the 2011 film The Sitter starring Jonah Hill.
- This song also occurs in the final scene of the 2018 film Tag.
- This song also appears in The 2018 Bobby Brown Story i episode 2
|This hip hop song-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|