Running Scared (Ell & Nikki song)
|Single by Ell & Nikki|
|Format||CD single, digital download|
|Songwriter(s)||Stefan Örn, Sandra Bjurman, Iain James Farquharson|
|Eurovision Song Contest 2011 entry|
|◄ "Drip Drop" (2010)|
|"When the Music Dies" (2012) ►|
"Running Scared" is a song performed by Azerbaijani duo Ell & Nikki. It won the Eurovision Song Contest 2011 for Azerbaijan, held in Düsseldorf, Germany. The song was performed in, and qualified from, the first semi-final on 10 May. It was performed in the final on 14 May, and won with 221 points. Ell and Nikki were the first mixed-gender duo to win the contest since 1963 and the first winners from Azerbaijan.
Prior to the release of Running Scared, neither singer had performed in a duo. According to Eldar Gasimov, at the initial stage, both singers were unsure of the success of such a project. Furthermore, after their victory at Eurovision, when asked about planning to continue to work together in an interview to Daily Mail, Nigar Jamal said her primary concern was to pursue a solo career, although she did not rule out the possibility of more joint projects with Eldar Gasimov.
Production and selection
Running Scared was chosen from among 70 submissions coming from both Azerbaijan and abroad which were received by ITV within four weeks from January 10. Eldar Gasimov stated that the song was a perfect common ground for the singers' varying styles, voices and spirits.
The authors of the song are Stefan Örn, Sandra Bjurman from Sweden together with Iain Farquharson from the UK. Örn and Bjurman are also authors of the song "Drip Drop", which represented Azerbaijan at the Eurovision Song Contest 2010.
Running Scared set a new record for lowest average score on a Eurovision winner, earning 5.26 points per jury and breaking the previous record held by Helena Paparizou's My Number One, the 2005 winner.
The official videoclip for Running Scared was released on 11 April 2011 and was directed by Tarmo Krimm. It was preceded by a promotional video released earlier in March. Krimm, who was also the producer of the Eurovision Song Contest 2002 held in his native Estonia, won the right to direct this videoclip after submitting his proposal in February 2011.
The video was shot in southern Crimea, the videoclip features Ell taking photographs of Nikki as she appears sitting on a cliff with a Labrador Retriever and taking a ride on a cable car. These scenes are interrupted by shots of Ell and Nikki singing both separately and together. In the end, Ell is shown climbing up the cliff while Nikki looks at him tenderly, and the joined couple sings the final chorus standing face-to-face.
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||22|
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)||37|
|Belgium (Ultratip Wallonia)||7|
|Germany (Media Control AG)||33|
|Netherlands (Single Top 100)||59|
|Romania (Romanian Top 100)||99|
|Russia (Digital Chart)||10|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||11|
|UK Singles (The Official Charts Company)||61|
- "Eurovision Azerbaijan - Eldar & Nigar will represent Azerbaijan with the song "Running Scared"! (Download the original song in the continuation of article)". Eurovisionaz.com. Archived from the original on 2011-07-10. Retrieved 2011-05-19. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Воробьёва уложила на лопатки лондонская домохозяйка. Ekspress (in Russian). Retrieved 26 May 2011.
- "'I don't know if we'll continue as a duo': Eurovision winner Nikki Jamal casts doubt on future of Ell/Nikki during an appearance on Loose Women". Daily Mail. London. 20 May 2011. Retrieved 26 May 2011.
- "Azərbaycanı "Eurovision-2011" Mahnı Müsabiqəsində "Running Scared" mahnısı təmsil edəcək". itv.az (in Azerbaijani). Archived from the original on 16 March 2011. Retrieved 14 March 2011. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Azərbaycanın "Eurovision-2011" müsabiqəsindəki mahnısı açıqlanıb". Apa.az (in Azerbaijani). Retrieved 14 March 2011.
- ""Running Scared" mahnısının akustik və remix versiyaları hazırlanıb". İTV (in Azerbaijani). Archived from the original on 12 March 2012. Retrieved 29 April 2011. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- ""Running Scared" mahnısının klip çəkilişləri artıq başa çatıb". İTV (in Azerbaijani). Archived from the original on 11 April 2011. Retrieved 8 April 2011. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- (in Russian) Режиссер клипа азербайджанского дуэта Eldar & Nigar оценил шансы наших представителей на "Евровидении 2011". Day.az. 1 May 2011.
- "Austriancharts.at – Ell/Nikki – Running Scared" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Ultratop.be – Ell/Nikki – Running Scared" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Ultratop.be – Ell/Nikki – Running Scared" (in French). Ultratip.
- "RÚV - Vinsældalisti Rásar 2". RÚV. Retrieved 4 June 2011.
- "Chart Track: Week 20, 2011". Irish Singles Chart.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Ell/Nikki – Running Scared" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- "Romanian Top 100". kissfm.ro. 2011-05-15.
- "Трижды платиновая". 2M. Lenta.ru. 2012-04-06.
- ds. "IFPI Slovakia Track Info: Eldar & Nigar, "Running Scared"". Ifpicr.cz. Retrieved 2011-05-19.
- "Swisscharts.com – Ell/Nikki – Running Scared". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Running Scared by Ell and Nikki - Music Charts". acharts.us. Retrieved 10 April 2018.