Running in the Family
|Running in the Family|
|Studio album by Level 42|
|Released||March 1987 (UK)|
|Recorded||Recorded and mixed at Sarm West 1986.
"Lessons in Love" / "Children Say" backing tracks recorded by Nick Froome at Maison Rouge 1986
Digital engineering by Carlos Olms, London.
|Producer||Wally Badarou, Level 42|
|Level 42 chronology|
|Singles from Running in the Family|
Running in the Family is the seventh studio album by UK band Level 42, released in 1987.
It featured the UK hit singles: "Lessons in Love" (which reached No. 3 in May 1986), "Running in the Family" (No. 6 in February 1987), "To Be with You Again" (No. 10 in April '87), "It's Over" (No. 10, in September 1987) and "Children Say" (No. 22 at the end of 1987). All five singles peaked in the top 10 in the Netherlands, where the band was always popular. "Lessons in Love" peaked at #1 in Germany, South Africa, Switzerland and Denmark. This was the last Level 42 album of the 1980s to feature brothers Phil (drums) and Roland 'Boon' Gould (guitar), who had cited dissatisfaction with the musical direction of the band and exhaustion as departure reasons.
Later in '87 the Platinum Edition of the album was issued. The CD and cassette replaced "Lessons in Love", "Running in the Family" and "It's Over" with remixed versions, and added remixes of "Something About You" and "World Machine" from the previous album. On vinyl the remixes were featured on one 33rpm record which was shrink-wrapped to the standard edition of the album.
Also in 1987 the group released the video collection Family of Five with the music videos of the five singles from Running in the Family exclusively in the United Kingdom. The album itself was a big international success, reaching the Top 10 in numerous countries and the Top 25 in the US; in the UK, it was certified 2× Platinum by the BPI.
- "Lessons in Love" (Badarou, R. Gould, King) – 4:04
- "Children Say" (King, Lindup, P. Gould) – 4:53
- "Running in the Family" (P. Gould, Badarou, King) – 6:12
- "It's Over" (King, R. Gould, Badarou) – 6:02
- "To Be with You Again" (King, R. Gould) – 5:19
- "Two Solitudes" (King, P. Gould, Lindup) – 5:17
- "Fashion Fever" (King, P. Gould, R. Gould, Lindup) – 4:35
- "The Sleepwalkers" (King, P. Gould) – 6:02
- "Freedom Someday" (King, P. Gould, R. Gould, Lindup) – 6:20 (originally a bonus track on the CD and cassette)
2000 reissue bonus tracks
- "Lessons in Love" (Shep's Final Mix) – 5:45
- "Children Say" (Slap Bass Mix) – 4:49
- "To Be with You Again" (A.D.S.C. Mix) – 5:45
- "Running in the Family" (HTL Dub) – 6:11
- Mark King – bass, vocals.
- Mike Lindup – keyboards, vocals.
- Phil Gould – drums
- Boon Gould – lead and rhythm guitars
- Wally Badarou – keyboards, backing vocals
- Gary Barnacle – saxophone ("Lessons in Love")
- Krys Mach – saxophone ("Running in the Family")
|UK Albums Chart||2|
|US Billboard 200||23|
||UK Singles Chart||3|
|Billboard Hot 100||12|
||UK Singles Chart||6|
|Billboard Hot 100||83|
||UK Singles Chart||10|
||UK Singles Chart||10|
||UK Singles Chart||22|
- Allmusic review
- Rolling Stone review
- [April, LM Magazine review]
- Record Mirror review
- The Definitive Online Level 42 Collectors Resource: Media