Rupert Nicholas Hambro
27 June 1943
|Alma mater||Aix-Marseille University|
|Net worth||£151 million (Sunday Times Rich List, 2020)|
Ann Silvia Muir
|Relatives||Carl Joachim Hambro (paternal great-grandfather)|
Olaf Hambro (paternal grandfather)
Richard Hambro (brother)
James Hambro (brother)
Rupert Nicholas Hambro CBE (born 27 June 1943) is a British heir, banker, businessman and philanthropist.
Rupert Hambro was born on 27 June 1943. His father, Jocelyn Hambro, served as the Chairman of Hambros Bank from 1965 to 1972. His mother was Ann Silvia Muir. His paternal great-grandfather, Carl Joachim Hambro, was a Danish emigrants to England who founded the Hambros Bank.
He joined the family business, the Hambros Bank, in 1964. He served on its board of directors from 1969 to 1986, and as its chairman from 1983 to 1986. In 1986, he co-founded J.O. Hambro Capital Management, a mergers and acquisitions investment firm, with his father and two brothers. He is also the owner of the private equity firm, Hambro & Partners.
He is the former Chairman of Woburn Enterprises, which includes the Woburn Safari Park, the Woburn Abbey, golf courses and hotels. He also served on the Boards of Directors of Anglo American plc, the Telegraph Group and the Sedgwick Group. In 1976, he served on the board of directors of the White Pass and Yukon Corporation Ltd., which owns a railway on the White Pass and Yukon Route in Canada.
He is Chairman of Cazenove & Loyd, a luxury travel agency, since 2003. Additionally, he has been the Chairman of Theo Fennell PLC and is Chairman of Sipsmith since 2009. He serves on the Supervisory Board of Bank Gutmann. He has served as the Chairman of Robinson Hambro, a recruitment agency for corporate directors, since 2010.
He has served as the Chairman of The Silver Trust since 1988 and Vice Patron of the Royal British Society of Sculptors since 1997. He has served on the Council of the Royal College of Art since 2010, and he is an Honorary Fellow of the University of Bath. Additionally, he has also served as the Chairman of the Development & Strategy Board of the Zoological Society of London since 2011. He serves on the Board of Trustees of the Wallace Collection.
He was appointed CBE in the 2014 Birthday Honours for charitable services.
Robin Hambro is an American-born philanthropist, former London Editor of American Vogue who is on the International Best Dressed List. He is a member of White's, the Groucho Club and The Walbrook Club in the City of London as well as the Jupiter Island Club in Hobe Sound, Florida.
- Rupert Nicholas Hambro, Debrett's
- Charles Mosley (ed.), Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, Crans, Switzerland: Burke's Peerage, 1999, vol. 1, p. 1278
- Wallace Collection: Board of Trustees
- Robinson Hambro
- British Association of Adoption and Fostering: Who we are: President and Patrons Archived 17 April 2011 at the Wayback Machine
- Second banking dynasty with cloud here, The Gazette (Montreal), 11 December 1976
- Bank Gutmann: Governance
- "Hambro Perks on Companies House". Companies House.
- The Spectator: Rupert Hambro
- Times, The Sunday. "Rich List 2020: profiles 802-900=, featuring Daniel Craig and Adele". ISSN 0140-0460. Retrieved 8 July 2020.
- Royal British Society of Sculptors: Supporters
- The International Hall of Fame: Women: 2009 Inductees, Vanity Fair, 3 August 2009