Rupert Martin Bauersachs
Bauersachs studied medicine at the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich and the Technical University of Munich from 1977 to 1983, at the Oxford University Medical School 1981. In 1984 he was appointed to the Dr. med. From 1984 to 1985 he was post-doc Research Fellow at the Institute of Pharmacology of the Technical University of Munich and from 1985 to 1987 Research Fellow of the American Heart Association at the Department of Physiology and Biophysics of the University of Southern California Los Angeles. He completed a specialist training as an internist at the Klinikum München-Bogenhausen from 1987 to 1993 and received his specialist training in angiology angiologist, diabetologist, phlebologist and haemostaseologist at the Universities of Frankfurt and Mainz from 1993 to 1999. In 1999, he completed his habilitation on ischemia and reperfusion disorders and obtained a postgraduate degree in angiology. In 1999, he was recognized as a Fellow of the International Union of Angiology.
Bauersachs took over the provisional head of the Department of Vascular Medicine of the Goethe University Frankfurt am Main from 1999 to 2003 and co-founded the first German university vascular center at the University of Frankfurt in 2000. He was appointed director of the Department of Angiology, Darmstadt Hospital and co-founder of the Darmstadt Vascular Center in 2003. In 2004 Bauersachs received an unscheduled professorship at the University of Frankfurt am Main and a visiting professorship Vulnerable individuals and populations - VIP at the Center for Thrombosis and Hemostasis (CTH) of the University of Mainz in 2012.
- Venous thromboembolism
- Peripheral arterial disease
- New antithrombotic substances
- Antithrombotic therapy in vulnerable individuals and populations, e.g. pregnant women, tumor patients, the elderly, renal impairment
- Heparin-induced thrombocytopenia
Bauersachs propagated outpatient treatment of deep vein thrombosis in Germany in the late 1990s and the acute treatment and prolonged secondary prevention of venous thrombosis with direct oral anticoagulants ten years later. For the neglected clinical entity of superficial venous thrombosis (thrombophlebitis), a team with Bauersachs could establish an evidence-based therapy for this common clinical picture in 2010. For vulnerable thrombosis populations, including pregnant women, the elderly, renal insufficiency or cancer, Bauersachs was able to lead or co-design new studies that produced guideline-relevant results.
Critical implementation of the research results in clinical practice is a concern to him, also with the aim to avoid over- and undertreatment, for example in thrombophilia, use of oral contraceptives, diagnosis of thrombosis including gender-specific aspects, quality of care, and patient preference, as well as in complex treatment decision on the duration of extended anticoagulation in venous thromboembolism.
As scientific director of the Action Alliance Thrombosis, he was instrumental in the development of an easy-to-use algorithm for the complex investigation of anticoagulation time in venous thromboembolism ("anticoagulation traffic light system").
- Council board member of the German Society of Angiology
- Council board member of the German Society for Phlebology
- "Rupert Martin Bauersachs CV Deutsche Gesellschaft für Phlebologie".
- "Gastwissenschaftler- cth-mainz.de". www.unimedizin-mainz.de.
- "Aktionsbündnis - Startseite Risiko Thrombose". www.risiko-thrombose.de.
- "Welt-Thrombose-Tag - Startseite Risiko Thrombose". www.risiko-thrombose.de.
- Bauersachs R, Lindhoff-Last E, Wolff U, Ehrly A: Aktuelles Management der tiefen Venenthrombose. Med Welt 1998 1998; 49: 194-214
- Bauersachs RM, Lindhoff-Last E, Ehrly AM: [Ambulatory treatment of an acute pulmonary artery embolism in fresh thigh vein thrombosis using low-molecular-weight heparin]. Dtsch Med Wochenschr 1999; 124: 1485-1488
- Bauersachs R, Berkowitz SD, Brenner B, et al: Oral rivaroxaban for symptomatic venous thromboembolism. N Engl J Med 2010; 363: 2499-2510
- Décousus H, Leizorovicz A, Bauersachs R, et al: Fondaparinux for the treatment of superfical-vein thrombosis in the legs N Engl J Med 2010; 363: 1222-1232
- Beyer-Westendorf J, Schellong SM, Gerlach H, et al: Prevention of thromboembolic complications in patients with superficial-vein thrombosis given rivaroxaban or fondaparinux: the open-label, randomised, non-inferiority SURPRISE phase 3b trial. Lancet Haematol 2017; 4: e105-e113
- Bauersachs RM, Dudenhausen J, Faridi A, et al: Risk stratification and heparin prophylaxis to prevent venous thromboembolism in pregnant women. Thromb Haemost 2007; 98: 1237-1245
- Leizorovicz A, Siguret V, Mottier D, et al: Safety profile of tinzaparin versus subcutaneous unfractionated heparin in elderly patients with impaired renal function treated for acute deep vein thrombosis: the Innohep(R) in Renal Insufficiency Study (IRIS). Thromb Res 2011; 128: 27-34
- Lee AY, Bauersachs R, Janas MS, et al: CATCH: a randomised clinical trial comparing long-term tinzaparin versus warfarin for treatment of acute venous thromboembolism in cancer patients. BMC Cancer 2013; 13: 284
- Bauersachs R, Lee AYY, Kamphuisen PW, et al: Renal Impairment, Recurrent Venous Thromboembolism and Bleeding in Cancer Patients with Acute Venous Thromboembolism-Analysis of the CATCH Study. Thromb Haemost 2018; 118: 914-921
- Schellong SM, Gerlach HE, Tebbe U, et al: Certoparin versus UFH to prevent venous thromboembolic events in the very elderly patient: An analysis of the CERTIFY study. Thromb Res 2011; 128: 417-421
- Bauersachs R, Schellong SM, Haas S, et al: CERTIFY: Prophylaxis of venous thromboembolism in patients with severe renal insufficiency. Thromb Haemost 2011; 105: in press
- Bauersachs RM: Guidelines for the management of cancer and thrombosis - Special aspects in women. Thromb Res 2015; 135 Suppl 1: S16-22
- Bauersachs R, Kuhl H, Lindhoff-Last E, Ehrly AM: [Risk of thrombosis with oral contraceptives: value of a thrombophilia screening test]. Vasa 1996; 25: 209-220
- Beyer-Westendorf J, Bauersachs R, Hach-Wunderle V, Zotz RB, Rott H: Sex hormones and venous thromboembolism - from contraception to hormone replacement therapy. Vasa 2018; 47: 441-450
- Schellong S, Gerlach H, Hach-Wunderle V, et al: Diagnosis of Deep Vein Thrombosis: Adherence to guidelines and outcomes in real world health care. Thrombosis and Hemostasis 2009; 102: 1234-1240
- Bauersachs RM, Riess H, Hach-Wunderle V, et al: Impact of gender on the clinical presentation and diagnosis of deep vein thrombosis. Thromb Haemost 2010; 103: 710-717
- Mueller S, Pfannkuche M, Breithardt G, et al: The quality of oral anticoagulation in general practice in patients with atrial fibrillation. Eur J Intern Med 2014; 25: 247-254
- Boettger B, Wehling M, Bauersachs R-, Amann S, Wilke T: Initial anticoagulation therapy in patients with venous thromboembolism and impaired renal function: results of an observational study J Public Health 2014:
- Bottger B, Thate-Waschke IM, Bauersachs R, Kohlmann T, Wilke T: Preferences for anticoagulation therapy in atrial fibrillation: the patients' view. J Thromb Thrombolysis 2015:
- Wilke T, Bauer S, Mueller S, Kohlmann T, Bauersachs R: Patient Preferences for Oral Anticoagulation Therapy in Atrial Fibrillation: A Systematic Literature Review. Patient 2017; 10: 17-37
- Bauersachs RM, Schellong S, Haas S, et al: Überbrückung der oralen Antikoagulation bei interventionellen Eingriffen. Dtsch Arztebl 2007; 104: 1237-1244
- Bauersachs RM, Gogarten W, Hach-Wunderle V, et al: [Perioperative management of anticoagulation with Rivaroxaban]. . Klinikarzt 2012; 41: 424–431
- Schellong SM, Riess H, Spannagl M, et al: [Bridging anticoagulation in patients receiving vitamin K antagonists: Current status]. Anaesthesist 2018; 67: 599-606
- Omran H, Bauersachs R, Rubenacker S, Goss F, Hammerstingl C: The HAS-BLED score predicts bleedings during bridging of chronic oral anticoagulation. Results from the national multicentre BNK Online bRiDging REgistRy (BORDER). Thromb Haemost 2012; 108: 65-73
- "Startseite Aktionsbündnis Thrombose - Startseite Risiko Thrombose". www.risiko-thrombose.de.
- Bauersachs R: [Prolonged Secondary Prevention After Venous Thromboembolism]. Dtsch Med Wochenschr 2018; 143: 137-142
- "DGA - Beirat". www.dga-gefaessmedizin.de.