26 October 1972 |
Guildford, Surrey, England
Rupert Wyatt (born 26 October 1972) is an English writer and film director. His debut film was The Escapist, which premiered at the Sundance Film Festival in January 2008. His second film was Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011).
He also co-wrote and directed the British prison escape thriller The Escapist (2008), starring Brian Cox, Damian Lewis, Dominic Cooper, Joseph Fiennes, Seu Jorge, Steven Mackintosh, and Liam Cunningham. The film premiered at the Sundance Film Festival in January 2008, was nominated for eight international film awards, and was the winner of two. In March 2010, he was selected to direct Rise of the Planet of the Apes, a reboot of the Planet of the Apes franchise, which was based on a screenplay by Rick Jaffa and Amanda Silver. The film was released on 5 August 2011 to mostly positive reviews  and grossed more than $481 million worldwide.
He currently lives between Los Angeles and Hudson, New York with his wife, film maker Erica Beeney, and their three children.
|Nominated–British Independent Film – Douglas Hickox Award
Nominated–Evening Standard British Film Award for Most Promising Newcomer
Nominated–London Critics Circle Film Award for Breakthrough British Filmmaker
|2011||Rise of the Planet of the Apes||Director||Nominated–Empire Award for Best Director
Nominated–Saturn Award for Best Director
|2014||Turn: Washington's Spies||Director||Episode:
- Rees, Jasper (13 Jun 2008). "British film: why breaking out gave me an opportunity to break in". Telegraph Media Group Limited. Retrieved 15 February 2010.
- Roark, David (January 30, 2010). "Movie on DVD review: The Escapist". Retrieved 15 February 2010.
- Billington, Alex. "Exclusive: Poster Premiere for Rupert Wyatt's The Escapist". FirstShowing.
- "Rupert Wyatt Named as Planet of the Apes Prequel Director". DreadCentral.
- "Rise of the Planet of the Apes". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 25 October 2011.
- "Channing Tatum's 'Gambit' film now has a director". MARVELHYPE. Retrieved 15 June 2015.
- Hayes, Britt (September 16, 2015). "'Gambit' Solo Movie Loses Director Rupert Wyatt". Screen Crush. Retrieved September 16, 2015.
- "Rupert Wyatt to Direct, Write Sci-Fi Film 'Captive State' (EXCLUSIVE)".