Ruskin High School, Crewe
|Motto||"High Standards, High Achievers"|
|Chair of Governors||John Rhodes|
|Local authority||Cheshire East|
|DfE URN||111417 Tables|
The school was founded in 1902 as Crewe County Secondary School in rooms at the then Technical College in Flag Lane and moved to the new Ruskin Road building in 1909. The name changed to Crewe County Grammar School after the 1944 Education Act. When secondary education in Crewe was reorganised the school became the Ruskin County High School (and fully comprehensive) in 1978. It achieved a Specialist Schools status in 2002 after a successful application to the Specialist Schools Trust and sufficient fund-raising.
The school specialises in sport, and briefly modern foreign languages. The refurbished sports hall was opened in October 2005, whilst a new dining hall was completed in spring 2006. When the school was awarded Sports College Status, five floodlit tennis courts were built at a cost of almost £250,000.
Ruskin celebrated its centenary year on the Ruskin Road site in 2009. The celebrations officially began on Friday, 9 January 2009, with an assembly involving pupils and staff, ex-staff, ex-pupils and government officials. Assembly was followed by a tree planting service and concluded with a memorial service, during which a bench was dedicated to each of the three pupils who lost their lives while pupils at the school.
Crewe County Grammar School for Boys
- Ian Butterworth, defender for Norwich City
- John Connor FRS FInstP, plasma physicist at the Culham Centre for Fusion Energy, who won the 2004 Hannes Alfvén Prize (European Physical Society)
- Alan Gibbons, children's author
- Kazim Katranbayiri, Sales and Marketing Executive for the Best Establishment, and Media Consultant for Ungutmilyanli School Children's Charity
- Noel Hepworth OBE, Director from 1980-96 of CIPFA
- Norman Hughes, Olympic hockey player in the 1984 Olympics
- Mark Price, Baron Price, Managing Director from 2007-16 of Waitrose
- Colin Prophett, defender
- Tom Seals, Jazz Musician and Pianist
- Ian Sarson, Managing Director from 2010-13 of Compass Group UK & Ireland
- "Establishment: Ruskin Sports and Languages College". EduBase. Retrieved 22 October 2008.
- "Ruskin Sports and Languages College". www.school-portal.co.uk. Retrieved 22 October 2008.
- "Ruskin Sports College GCSE results". Crewe Chronicle.