Rusman Gunawan, also known as Gun Gun, is an Indonesian jailed for "facilitating and aiding terrorism". He is the younger brother of the Jemaah Islamiah (JI) chief of operations, Hambali. Born in the West Java town of Cianjur, he moved to Pakistan to continue his religious studies at an Islamic school (madrassas). After graduating, he travelled to Afghanistan to train at the Al Ghuraba training camp.
During 2002, while he attended Abu Bakar Islamic University in Pakistan, he took over as the "intermediary" for e-mail messages between al-Qaeda and his older brother Hambali, who at the time was hiding in Cambodia.
He was taken to Indonesia where he was sentenced in October 2004 to four years jail for "facilitating and aiding terrorism". In particular, he was found to have transferred the money (in Australian dollars) that was used to finance the 2003 Marriott Hotel bombing.
- "Marriott blast suspects named", CNN
- "Marriott Hotel in Jakarta reopens", Xinhua
- "Terrorism in Indonesia: Noordins Networks", International Crisis Group
- "Combating JI in Indonesia"[dead link] Ng Boon Yian
- Jemaah Islamiyah Shown to Have Significant Ties to al Qaeda[dead link]
- Learning by Doing:Al Qaeda's Allies in Southeast Asia[dead link]
- Terrorism Perpetrated and Terrorists Apprehended