Russell A. Berman (born May 14, 1950) is an American professor of German Studies and Comparative Literature. He is the Walter A. Haas Professor in the Humanities at Stanford University. He is also a senior fellow at the Hoover Institution. He is the director of Stanford's Thinking Matters program. He previously served as associate dean and director of Stanford's Overseas Studies Program.
Born in Boston, Massachusetts, Berman received a Bachelor of Arts degree from Harvard University in 1972 and completed a doctorate at Washington University in 1979. Since 1979, Berman has been on the faculty at Stanford University. In 2004, he became the editor of Telos, a quarterly journal of critical theory which has included extensive discussions of the Frankfurt School as well as Carl Schmitt. In 2011, he served as president of the Modern Language Association (MLA).
- Fiction Sets You Free: On Literature In History (Iowa City: University of Iowa Press, 2007)
- Anti-Americanism in Europe: A Cultural Problem (Stanford, CA: Hoover Institution Press, 2004)
- Enlightenment or Empire: Colonial Discourse in German Culture (Lincoln: University of Nebraska Press, 1998) - Outstanding Book in German Studies Award of the German Studies Association, 2000.
- Cultural Studies of Modern Germany: History, Representation, and Nationhood (Madison: University of Wisconsin Press, 1993)
- Modern Culture and Critical Theory: Art, Politics, and the Legacy of the Frankfurt School (Madison: University of Wisconsin Press, 1989)
- The Rise of the Modern German Novel: Crisis and Charisma (Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 1986) - Outstanding Book in German Studies Award of the German Studies Association, 1988.
- Between Fontane and Tucholsky: Literary Criticism and the Public Sphere in Imperial Germany (New York: Lang, 1983)
- "Culture in the Conservative Revolution: The American Debate." Telos 101, Fall 1994.
- U.S. Public Records Index, Vol 1 (Provo, UT: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc.), 2010.
- "Stanford faculty directory". Stanfordwho.stanford.edu. Retrieved 2012-05-24.
- "Hoover Institution directory". Hoover.org. 2011-12-01. Retrieved 2012-05-24.
- "Stanford biography page". Humanexperience.stanford.edu. Retrieved 2012-05-24.
- "Telos webpage". Telospress.com. Retrieved 2012-05-24.
- "From the President: A Message from MLA President Russell Berman". Mla.org. 2011-03-30. Retrieved 2012-05-24.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Russell Berman|
|This biography of an American academic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|