|Member of the Australian Parliament
24 March 1990 – 13 March 1993
|Preceded by||New seat|
|Succeeded by||Alan Griffin|
|Member of Parliament
9 October 2004
|Preceded by||Christian Zahra|
2 March 1996 – 3 October 1998
|Preceded by||Barry Cunningham|
|Succeeded by||Christian Zahra|
25 December 1950 |
Koo Wee Rup, Victoria, Australia
|Political party||Liberal Party of Australia|
Russell Evan Broadbent (born 25 December 1950), Australian politician, was elected to the Australian House of Representatives as member for the Division of McMillan, Victoria for the Liberal Party of Australia at the 2004 federal election. He previously represented the Division of Corinella 1990–93 and McMillan 1996–98. He was a company director and self-employed retailer before entering politics.
Broadbent was initially elected for the marginal Melbourne seat of Corinella, losing to Labor's Alan Griffin in 1993. In 1996, he challenged Barry Cunningham in the hybrid urban-rural seat of McMillan and won it on a large swing. He was defeated by Labor's Christian Zahra in 1998. In 2004, however, he contested McMillan again after a redistribution erased the Labor majority and made it notionally Liberal. He was reelected for the first time in his career in 2007, as the Coalition lost government.
Broadbent came to national prominence after siding with Liberal dissident Petro Georgiou and advocating better treatment of detainees. He has upheld his position of not charging long-term detainees for their detainment.
Broadbent has said that global warming is "an issue for Australia and an issue for the world." He is also an advocate for bike paths as a benefit to community health, transport and the environment. Broadbent has expressed interest in improving funding for Landcare Australia.
- Geoff, Strong (11 October 2004). "Three times lucky for seasoned campaigner". The Age. Retrieved 2007-08-17.
- Kulich, William (29 January 2010). "Interview – Video> Liberal MP for McMillan Mr. Russell Broadbent Speaks to OCSN (29/1/2010)". One Cuckoo Short of a Nest. Retrieved 2010-01-04.
- Kulich, William (13 August 2010). "Interview> Member for McMillan Mr Russell Broadbent: OCSN 2010 Election Coverage (13/8/2010)". One Cuckoo Short of a Nest. Retrieved 2010-08-18.
- Search or browse Hansard for Russell Broadbent at OpenAustralia.org
- Summary of parliamentary voting for Russell Broadbent MP on TheyVoteForYou.org.au
|Parliament of Australia|
|New division||Member for Corinella
|Member for McMillan
|Member for McMillan