Russell E. Morris
Russell Morris at the Royal Society admissions day in London in 2016
|Born||Russell Edward Morris|
8 June 1967
St Asaph, Flintshire, Wales
|Awards||Frank Brian Mercer award[when?]|
|Thesis||Synthesis and characterization of metal phosphites and selenites (1992)|
|Doctoral advisor||Anthony Cheetham|
|Domestic team information|
|1987–1991||University of Oxford|
|1990–1991||Wales Minor Counties|
Source: Cricinfo, 10 November 2011
Russell Edward Morris (born 8 June 1967) is a Professor of Structural and Materials Chemistry at the University of St Andrews. He played first-class cricket while he was a student at the University of Oxford.
Education and early life
Morris was born and raised in North Wales and educated at Ysgol Dyffryn Conwy and Oriel College, Oxford, where he was awarded a Bachelor of Arts degree in Chemistry in 1989 followed by a Doctor of Philosophy degree in 1992 for research investigating the synthesis and characterization of metal phosphites and selenites supervised by Anthony Cheetham.
Research and career
Morris's research interests lie in the synthesis, characterisation and application of porous and layered materials including zeolites and metal-organic frameworks (MOFs). He developed ionothermal synthesis – the use of ionic liquids as reactive media for the preparation of solids – a method that has had impact across a wide range of chemistry. His recent work on developing the assembly–disassembly–organisation–reassembly (ADOR) approach to the preparation of zeolites offers routes to exciting materials that would not be possible using standard techniques.
Awards and honours
Morris was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society (FRS) in 2016. His applications and commercially focused work with MOFgen Ltd. and Sasol Technology UK have been recognised by the Frank Brian Mercer Award for Innovation from the Royal Society. He was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh (FRSE) in 2008, a Fellow of the Learned Society of Wales (FLSW) in 2012, and a Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry.[when?]
Morris was a right-handed batsman and bowled right-arm medium pace. While studying at the University of Oxford, he made his first-class debut for Oxford University Cricket Club in 1987 against Hampshire. He made 33 further first-class appearances for the university, the last of which came against Cambridge University in the 1991 University Match at Lord's. In his 34 first-class appearances for Oxford University, he scored 981 runs at an average of 21.32, with a high score of 96. This score, which was one of eight fifties he made for the university, came against Surrey at the University Parks in 1990. The same year, he also appeared once for a combined Oxford and Cambridge Universities side against the touring New Zealanders. He batted with success in this match: captaining the side, he scored 75 in the team's first innings before being dismissed by John Bracewell, while in the team's second innings, he scored 53 before being dismissed by the same bowler.
While studying at Oxford, Morris was also a part of the Combined Universities team in the 1991 Benson and Hedges Cup. He made four List A appearances during the competition, against Gloucestershire, Derbyshire, Worcestershire and Northamptonshire. In these four matches, he scored 44 runs at an average of 11.00, with a high score of 19.
- MORRIS, Prof. Russell Edward. ukwhoswho.com. Who's Who. 2017 (online Oxford University Press ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. (subscription required)
- Anon (2016). "Author Profile: Russell E. Morris". Angewandte Chemie International Edition. 55: 8794. doi:10.1002/anie.201601281.
- "Professor Russell Edward Morris, FRS FRSE FRSC FLSW: School of Chemistry". St Andrews: st-andrews.ac.uk. Archived from the original on 2016-05-23.
- Russell Morris Entry at ORCID
- Russell Morris at ESPNcricinfo
- Russell Morris at CricketArchive
- Morris, Russell Edward (1992). Synthesis and characterization of metal phosphites and selenites. bodleian.ox.ac.uk (DPhil thesis). University of Oxford. OCLC 60089703.
- Morris, R. E.; Hriljac, J. A.; Cheetham, A. K. (1990). "Synthesis and crystal structures of two novel selenites, NaY(SeO₃)₂ and NaLa(SeO₃)₂". Acta Crystallographica Section C. 46 (11): 2013–2017. doi:10.1107/S0108270190002396. ISSN 0108-2701.
- Mazur, Michal; Wheatley, Paul S.; Navarro, Marta; Roth, Wieslaw J.; Položij, Miroslav; Mayoral, Alvaro; Eliášová, Pavla; Nachtigall, Petr; Čejka, Jiří; Morris, Russell E. (2015). "Synthesis of 'unfeasible' zeolites". Nature Chemistry. 8 (1): 58–62. doi:10.1038/nchem.2374. PMID 26673264.
- Horcajada, Patricia; Gref, Ruxandra; Baati, Tarek; Allan, Phoebe K.; Maurin, Guillaume; Couvreur, Patrick; Férey, Gérard; Morris, Russell E.; Serre, Christian (2012). "Metal–Organic Frameworks in Biomedicine". Chemical Reviews. 112 (2): 1232–1268. doi:10.1021/cr200256v. PMID 22168547.
- Cooper, Emily R.; Andrews, Christopher D.; Wheatley, Paul S.; Webb, Paul B.; Wormald, Philip; Morris, Russell E. (2004). "Ionic liquids and eutectic mixtures as solvent and template in synthesis of zeolite analogues". Nature. 430 (7003): 1012–1016. doi:10.1038/nature02860. PMID 15329717.
- Wheatley, Paul S.; Čejka, Jiří; Morris, Russell E. (2016). "Synthesis of Zeolites Using the ADOR (Assembly-Disassembly-Organization-Reassembly) Route". Journal of Visualized Experiments (110). doi:10.3791/53463. PMC 4841360. PMID 27078165.
- Eliášová, Pavla; Opanasenko, Maksym; Wheatley, Paul S.; Shamzhy, Mariya; Mazur, Michal; Nachtigall, Petr; Roth, Wieslaw J.; Morris, Russell E.; Čejka, Jiří (2015). "The ADOR mechanism for the synthesis of new zeolites". Chemical Society Reviews. 44 (20): 7177–7206. doi:10.1039/C5CS00045A. PMID 25946705.
- Anon (2016). "Professor Russell Morris FRS". London: Royal Society. Archived from the original on 2016-04-29. One or more of the preceding sentences incorporates text from the royalsociety.org website where:
“All text published under the heading 'Biography' on Fellow profile pages is available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.” --"Royal Society Terms, conditions and policies". Archived from the original on 25 September 2015. Retrieved 9 March 2016.
- Morris, Russell E.; Wheatley, Paul S. (2008). "Gas Storage in Nanoporous Materials". Angewandte Chemie International Edition. 47 (27): 4966–4981. doi:10.1002/anie.200703934. PMID 18459091.
- Anon (2016). "Russell Edward MORRIS: MOFgen Limited (SC454706)". London: Companies House. Archived from the original on 2016-05-23.
- "Royal Society of Edinburgh Fellows as of 2016-05-13" (PDF). Edinburgh: Royal Society of Edinburgh. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2016-03-30.
- "First-Class Matches played by Russell Morris". CricketArchive. Retrieved 11 November 2011.
- "First-class Batting and Fielding For Each Team by Russell Morris". CricketArchive. Retrieved 11 November 2011.
- "Oxford University v Surrey, 1990". CricketArchive. Retrieved 11 November 2011.
- "Oxford and Cambridge Universities v New Zealanders, 1990". CricketArchive. Retrieved 11 November 2011.
- "List A Matches played by Russell Morris". CricketArchive. Retrieved 11 November 2011.
- "List A Batting and Fielding For Each Team by Russell Morris". CricketArchive. Retrieved 11 November 2011.
- "Minor Counties Championship Matches played by Russell Morris". CricketArchive. Retrieved 11 November 2011.